Guide Covers for 7.0

Hi Team

Pushing forward the work initiated by Rizal Muttaquin and later by Drew
Jensen, I gave a try on the back and front covers of the 7.0 series of
Guides.

All files are in the /Contributor Resources/Cover7.0/ folder.

I am not a designer nor an expert in the printing industry, so forgive
the errors and mistakes. Furthermore, I had to learn Inkscape UI almost
from scratch.

All Source-* files are editable and has fonts "as fonts", that is, if
later we must change anything, we can type the new text.

All *-converted-to-curves*- files are files where the fonts were
converted into curves, so that the final SVG does not depend on
installed fonts, but then the texts are not easily editable.

The -converted-to-curves- files were used as front and back covers for
the ODT files with associated names. These are just samples.

The PDF files are the above ODFs exported to PDF.

I also uploaded the trueno fonts used in the guide front covers.

While I think the covers are usable right now, I may have missed something.

Kind regards

Hi Rizal

Sorry for the misspelling.

The NextCloud folder is

LibreOffice Documentation/English/Contributor Resources/Cover7.0/

I added you to the odfauthors group so this folder is now available to you.

Kind regards

Olivier

Hai Olivier,

Many thanks for the update report but could you please point me where  /Contributor Resources/Cover7.0/ folder is?

[and my last name is Muttaqin, not Muttaquin ;D]

BR,
Rizal Muttaqin

Hi Olivier,

Great, thank you

Hello Olivier,

Just looked at the covers and in my opinion, they are amazing! Thanks for
the effort!

Best regards,
Felipe Viggiano

Olivier,
When I open the GS7 cover PDF within NextCloud, it looks correct, but
when I download the file to my Mac and open it in Preview (the most
common way Mac users open PDFs, AFAIK), most of the contents are not
visible. I have never seen this happen before!

It does open, but very slowly, in Adobe Reader on my Mac and in Adobe
Reader on Windows 10, but on Win10 Adobe Reader stopped working while
I was trying to scroll down to the back cover. I have not checked this
PDF on any Linux distro. I have not tried any of the other cover PDFs.

Jean

I forgot to say that the Mac I'm using is running the latest OS,
Catalina. Now I've tried the PDF in Preview on a much older Mac,
running High Sierra, and it opens and displays with no problem. I
guess I will next reboot the new machine and see if that makes a
difference.

Jean

Hi!

I am using Linux and I had a similar problem as reported by Jean.If I open
the PDF file using Okular, all pages are blank. However, if I open the PDF
with Firefox's PDF viewer, all is fine and the images load really fast.

Also, if I open the cover files in ODT format they turn out to be too heavy
and it is very hard to scroll down the document and make any editing. As
discussed in our last meeting, this is because the image in the ODT file is
in SVG format.

What I did was open the SVG files using Inkscape and export as a 300 dpi
PNG file. Then I inserted them as PNG images into the ODT files. Now
they're lighter to load and navigate.

Rafael Lima

Hi Jean

Olivier,
When I open the GS7 cover PDF within NextCloud, it looks correct, but
when I download the file to my Mac and open it in Preview (the most
common way Mac users open PDFs, AFAIK), most of the contents are not
visible. I have never seen this happen before!

Can't help you there, I have no Mac with me. But I tested on Linux
native PDF viewers and W10 under Adobe Reader DC and it rendered correctly.

It does open, but very slowly, in Adobe Reader on my Mac and in Adobe
Reader on Windows 10, but on Win10 Adobe Reader stopped working while
I was trying to scroll down to the back cover. I have not checked this
PDF on any Linux distro. I have not tried any of the other cover PDFs.

The SVG's were inserted as (vector) image in the ODT file then exported
to PDF with "lossless compression" and 300 DPI resolution, so it became
a large PDF file (1.8MB). That may explain "slowness" and it may also be
putting a burden on low memory machines and produce artifacts on screen.

Kind regards
Olivier

Hi Rafael

Thanks for your tests.

Hi!

I am using Linux and I had a similar problem as reported by Jean.If I open
the PDF file using Okular, all pages are blank. However, if I open the PDF
with Firefox's PDF viewer, all is fine and the images load really fast.

I also opened under Okular in Kubuntu 20.04 and had no issues except a
delay in rendering the page.

Also, if I open the cover files in ODT format they turn out to be too heavy
and it is very hard to scroll down the document and make any editing. As
discussed in our last meeting, this is because the image in the ODT file is
in SVG format.

What I did was open the SVG files using Inkscape and export as a 300 dpi
PNG file. Then I inserted them as PNG images into the ODT files. Now
they're lighter to load and navigate.

I had not compared to the 6.x edition covers, but I suspect the
complexity of the 7.0 drawing may put a toll on the vector processing
and turn some machines quite slow and memory hungry.

Regards

Olivier

Hi Olivier!

I also opened under Okular in Kubuntu 20.04 and had no issues except a

delay in rendering the page.

You are right. The files do open in Okular. The thing is that they take
about 15 seconds to finish loading and in the meantime the pages are shown
as empty pages. And I had not waited enough to see them open.

Just as a tip, for those in Linux it is possible to use the command-line
tool *pdftoppm* to export the Covers PDF file into high-resolution PNGs.

pdftoppm -png -rx 300 -ry 300 Guid_Covers.pdf guide_covers

Cheers

Rafael