Please give your feedback for this document edit

Hello all,

I have edited this Calc function ACOS's wiki page where I made a few
changes:
1. Following a tabular example format
2. Added bad case example
3. Added a gif I created myself to avoid copyright issues besides getting
benefit of customizing to our needs
4. Adding related functions
5. Linked to corresponding ODF section

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Calc_Functions/ACOS

I would be applying similar changes to Calc functions one by one with an
exception of Gifs and images only wherever needed.

Looking forward to your feedback.
Regards,
Ronnie

Hi Ronnie

I think we're on track. A small note below.

Hello all,

I have edited this Calc function ACOS's wiki page where I made a few
changes:
1. Following a tabular example format
2. Added bad case example
3. Added a gif I created myself to avoid copyright issues besides getting
benefit of customizing to our needs

The vertical axis should mention "radians" and pi.

4. Adding related functions
5. Linked to corresponding ODF section

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Calc_Functions/ACOS

I would be applying similar changes to Calc functions one by one with an
exception of Gifs and images only wherever needed.

Looking forward to your feedback.
Regards,
Ronnie

regards

Hi Ronnie,

As Olivier commented, this update is what we hoped for.

A few further comments for you to consider:

SUMMARY SUB-SECTION
1. Should the summary state that this function calculates the “principal value”, which is an accepted term I believe.
2. Similarly, would it be worth mentioning “arc cosine” as well as “inverse trigonometric cosine”.

ARGUMENTS SUB-SECTION
1. Since the Syntax sub-section gives the argument name as Number, I would suggest that the singular form is used in this subsection too.
2. A very minor point, but is it worth putting a plus sign before “1”?
3. I would be wary about using the acronym NaN which may not be familiar to some of our users. Perhaps replace with the more specific “an invalid numeric value (#NUM!) error”.
4. Apologies but I do not know what the last sentence really means (“Because ACOS is a static method of Math, you always use it as Math”).

EXAMPLES SUB-SECTION
1. I think the format looks great.
2. In description for third and fourth examples, radian and degree should both be plural.
3. In description for fourth example, insert “by” before 180/PI().
4. In description for fifth example, again I would not bother with the NaN acronym. So maybe change “error (NaN)” to “an error”. Also I suspect you could safely delete “which is between -1 and 1” as it is already been stated.
5. A point for discussion – is the dynamic GIF appropriate for functions like this or is animation unnecessary for such a simple function? Would a static GIF convey the necessary information adequately?
6. Another point for discussion – as the GIF covers the whole of the function and isn’t really an example, would it be more appropriately placed in the Additional details sub-section?

I hope these thoughts help. And please keep up the good work!

Regards,

Steve

Hello Steve,

Thanks for your comments.

As Olivier commented, this update is what we hoped for.

A few further comments for you to consider:

SUMMARY SUB-SECTION

Thats a good suggestion.Done!

1. Should the summary state that this function calculates the
“principal value”, which is an accepted term I believe.

If we see Microsoft's description they have used arccosine everywhere
should we also shift to it. I actually continued what already exists but we
can consider. What do you say?

2. Similarly, would it be worth mentioning “arc cosine” as well as
“inverse trigonometric cosine”.

ARGUMENTS SUB-SECTION

Done!

1. Since the Syntax sub-section gives the argument name as Number, I
would suggest that the singular form is used in this subsection too.
2. A very minor point, but is it worth putting a plus sign before
“1”?
3. I would be wary about using the acronym NaN which may not be
familiar to some of our users. Perhaps replace with the more specific
“an invalid numeric value (#NUM!) error”.

Actually I should apologise as I somehow skipped this line and actually it
doesn't make any sense to me as well. Actually I found that this line is
coming from the description section of this
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Math/acos#:~:text=acos()%20method%20returns%20a,Math%20is%20not%20a%20constructor).
webpage but it makes little sense for our users here to be added hence I
have removed it.

4. Apologies but I do not know what the last sentence really means
(“Because ACOS is a static method of Math, you always use it as Math”).

Thanks

EXAMPLES SUB-SECTION
1. I think the format looks great.

Done

2. In description for third and fourth examples, radian and degree
should both be plural.

3. In description for fourth example, insert “by” before 180/PI().

4. In description for fifth example, again I would not bother with
the NaN acronym. So maybe change “error (NaN)” to “an error”. Also I
suspect you could safely delete “which is between -1 and 1” as it is
already been stated.

About this as I earlier mentioned we don't aim at creating such gifs for
all purposes but it will be fine for some trigonometric and statistical the
distributions ones. Otherwise if you see I have edited ABS function as well
but I didn't care about adding a gif or even an image there. Also Olivier
seem to like this one here.

5. A point for discussion – is the dynamic GIF appropriate for
functions like this or is animation unnecessary for such a simple
function? Would a static GIF convey the necessary information
adequately?
6. Another point for discussion – as the GIF covers the whole of the
function and isn’t really an example, would it be more appropriately
placed in the Additional details sub-section?

It did. Thanks

I hope these thoughts help. And please keep up the good work!

One thing I would like to add is that this was the first one hence I took

reviews to avoid getting in a situation where I am working 4-5 days with
different minds but now since we are on the right track as we discussed in
the meeting I'll send 20-30 function pages for review in the weekend of
your convenience.

Regards,
Ronnie

Steve,

If you believe that gif isn't needed then we can have simple png for these
functions and only in a special case we will opt for gifs?

Regards,
Ronnie

Hi Ronnie,

Thanks for your feedback.

I don't think there's any need to change the wording throughout to reflect the name "arccosine". I just thought it would be worth mentioning in the Summary sub-section that "inverse trigonometric cosine" and "arccosine", and maybe even "arccos", are just different names for the same thing.

With regards to the GIF, I'm quite happy with the animated version. My motivation for raising the comment was a concern that there might be more effort involved for you to create the animated GIF compared to the static equivalent. As long as it isn't too onerous for you, that's fine.

One further general point for discussion, the link to ODF standard currently takes the user off our wiki. Should we consider opening the ODF page in a new browser window?

I'm looking forward to reviewing some more.

Regards,

Steve

Hello Steve,

Done!

I don't think there's any need to change the wording throughout to
reflect the name "arccosine". I just thought it would be worth
mentioning in the Summary sub-section that "inverse trigonometric
cosine" and "arccosine", and maybe even "arccos", are just different
names for the same thing.

I have written the code and generating new ones will take a few minutes

only, it just a matter of choice also I have moved them to additional
section.

With regards to the GIF, I'm quite happy with the animated version. My
motivation for raising the comment was a concern that there might be
more effort involved for you to create the animated GIF compared to the
static equivalent. As long as it isn't too onerous for you, that's fine.

I think opening in a new tab is better but as far as I know we need to

make that adjustment on Admin Home -> Editing and Plugins, General Settings
Tab, "External links and images" section. Which will open all external
links in the new window.

One further general point for discussion, the link to ODF standard
currently takes the user off our wiki. Should we consider opening the
ODF page in a new browser window?

I'm looking forward to reviewing some more.

I will send some more pages soon.

Hi Ronnie and Olivier,

During our Monday meeting, I think it was suggested that we could record comments within the wiki itself (rather than via email). Is that so and what's the best way to do this?

Regards,

Steve

Hi Ronnie,

Since you mention the ABS function, I quite like the description of its argument (because the argument may be a cell reference rather than a number). The same applies to ACOS and many other functions.

Hence would the first line of the Arguments section for ACOS read better as "Number is a real number, or a reference to a cell containing that number, between -1 and +1."

I assume that you are still planning to change the second line of that section, as per comments?

Regards,

Steve

Yes, I agree. I'll do that as you suggested. Also regarding comments I
think Olivier can better tell.

Regards,
Ronnie

Hi Steve

Each wiki page has (after login) a discussion tab on the top left.

It appeared to me a good place to add comments on the page being edited,
about the technicalities...

Olivier

Thanks Olivier, that's fine.

I've put a useless test comment on the ACOS page. We'd better remember to initial our comments so that Ronnie knows who has raised each one.

Regards,

Steve

Please always add your signature at the end of your reply by clicking on the "Signature and timestamp" button between Italics and Link button.

Consult this: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Talk_pages

Use : for indenting your replies, so the hierarchy is communicated (see the help article).

Ilmari