Hi Peter,

Thanks for generating the idea.

From the Calc Guide perspective, it's an interesting idea. Calc's View > Toolbars menu identifies 20 toolbars so a new appendix might get quite thick (although I know that Calc won't win the prize for the most toolbars in an LO component)! On the plus side, some of the toolbar descriptions within the other chapters could be pruned. However I am confident that some of these toolbars are not mentioned anywhere in the 6.4 Calc Guide, which possibly should be addressed. I think it is also possible that some of them aren't mentioned in the Help files (Olivier might have a view of that).

In summary I am concerned about the scope of the task. With respect to toolbars, I would be happy if we agreed to include an appendix that listed them, included a short, summary statement about the purpose of the toolbar, and listed the names of the functions that are visible in the toolbar's default configuration. I don't think it would be cost effective (in terms of volunteer effort) or useful to include an out of context description of each option, because many of the options will already be described in context within other chapters. I also don't think we should bother including lists of the assigned but invisible options.

In addition, before we dive into it, we should think about other implications: Would an additional appendix be proposed to list all the options available in the (default) Menu bar? What about the organisation of the options available in the other user interface options (e.g. Tabbed, Tabbed Compact and Groupedbar Compact)? Is there any commonality across the various LO components that could be covered in the Getting Started Guide rather than being replicated in the individual guides?
Regards,

Steve