Okay, all very good points. Im still new to this, so thank you for the in
depth remarks regarding the changes that I suggested.

Gordon Bates
berrykevin321@gmaill.com
github.com/jdoes

On Sat, Aug 1, 2020 at 2:42 AM Steve (GMail) <stevemfanning.wh@gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi Gordon,

Many thanks for your thorough first review of this chapter. I'm a little
embarrassed that I didn't spot the erroneous description of the
characters that can be used in sheet names!

I have processed all comments and the chapter is now back in the Draft
folder with no tracked changes, ready for second review.

A few matters arising from your queries and suggestions:
With regards to adding the URL of the Getting Started Guide. As far as
I’m aware we don’t tend to include cross-links like this in any of the
guides. Bear in mind that Calc Guide, Chapter 0 includes a link to the
English Documentation page of the LO website, where copies of all the
guides can be found. If we include the URL for the Getting Started Guide
in this chapter then we’d have to be consistent and include URLs in any
of the chapters that reference other guides. There’s a lot of these
references and I don’t think it would be advantageous to introduce this
extra clutter.
With regards to the differences between the Save As dialog on Windows,
Linux and macOS. I don’t think we need to expand on this because Chapter
0 states that there will be some differences - “Therefore, some
illustrations will not look exactly like what you see on your computer
display”.
With regards to providing other links about regular expressions. I think
we have now expanded this topic so that it is covered adequately in the
guide. For me, the purpose of our guides is not to provide exhaustive
sets of links to other sites. I don’t think it’s a copyright issue but
we do need to be aware that providing a link can be interpreted as
somehow implying a recommendation. I hope we’ve now provided enough
information for our users to get started with regex and hence don’t see
the need for providing additional links; those interested can probably
discover 100s of links via Google. This is covered by the existing text
“There are numerous websites that include examples of regular
expressions and these provide an endless source of inspiration and ideas
to help improve your data analysis skills”.
With regards to your idea about embedding spreadsheets in the Writer
file for this chapter. In principle of course this is possible but
wouldn’t be very helpful for anybody using a printed copy of the guide!
And I’m not certain how useful it would be in PDF versions of the
document. But beyond that, I am against the idea because of the work
involved in doing it consistently. The examples you’ve cited happen to
be in an area of new text, written for this update. However throughout
that Calc Guide there are many spreadsheets and spreadsheet fragments; I
don’t think it is a worthwhile investment of our time to go through all
chapters replacing relevant images with embedded spreadsheets, for very
little gain. I also feel that the associated explanatory text (“Double
click on the first box below, highlight, copy, and paste into your own
spreadsheet to follow the example”) is unnecessary clutter because it
isn’t hard to follow the examples just by reading what’s already
written. I understand that some readers might like to try it themselves
but we’re writing a guide, not a workbook.

Regards,

Steve