HI Milos
I fully support this initiative.
I've brought it into the Foundation for decision.
Kind regards
Olivier

Em 15/07/2020 13:43, Milos Sramek escreveu:
Hi,

would it be possible that The Document Foundation sets up a Google
Translate (GT) account and makes it accessible to translators?

In translation of the Guides we use the GT service, either to translate
English to Czech or Slovak, or Czech to or from Slovak.

Quality of GT translations has significantly improved over the last
years, quite often such translation can be accepted without changes.

We use these translations in OmegaT to translate the Guides. The
translations are produced offline by a script and loaded in OmegaT to an
auxiliary translation memory, from where they can be fetched easily (GT
can be directly used as a service, but it is a bit cumbersome, because
it changes things like quotation marks, tags etc. These are fixed by the
script).

GT is a paid service (not expensive, I think USD20 / 1 000 000
characters). I think that the service can be used also to translate the
help files. I is probably not useful to translate the GUI files.

Our experience is that such translation speeds up the translation
process a lot. Maybe that accessibility of such service will motivate
others to translate the guides or the help.

Milos

--
Olivier Hallot
LibreOffice Documentation Coordinator