Calc Guide 7.0

Hi Gordon,

Thanks again for your help with the 6.4 Calc Guide, it is much appreciated.

I'm delighted to hear that you are interested in helping out with the 7.0 Calc Guide. If you visit the The Document Foundation’s wiki you will find that the planned software release date for LibreOffice 7.0.0 final is August 6th 2020.

Have you downloaded a version of 7.0 to try out? If not it would be worth doing so, possibly as a parallel installation so that you don't need to delete your current version of 6.4 yet. I use the Separate Install GUI to achieve this - see https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/SI-GUI.

The Calc section of the Release Notes at https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/7.0 will give you an idea of what's changing at 7.0. However that won't be the full story as not all software changes find their way into the release notes - we will only discover some changes by comparing the appearance and behaviour of the 6.4 and 7.0 Calc software. If you do experiment with the 7.0 version of Calc, please keep a note of any differences that you notice.

When I've finished publishing the 6.4 document, we'll be able to move forward to the 7.0 update.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Milos,

That's great, I was intending to do the same but there's no point duplicating effort. Please advise when you are finished with the files.

By the way, I am hoping that the re-introduction of the alphabetical index does not complicate translation. Please advise if this will cause any translation issues.

Regards,

Steve

Hi,
now that CG64 is finished, I would like to check style usage and to do
my job with direct formatting cleaning. It is necessary for translation.
It will not introduce any content changes.

So, please, wait for the fixed files a few days before you start with
the CG 7.0 guide.

Milos

Hi Steve,
an index is not a problem, but the entries should be added in the right
way.

LO "helps" in adding index entries - if the cursor is placed inside a
word or directly next to it, when adding an entry the field Item (the
second one from top) in the dialog is prefilled with that word. After
pressing OK the whole word is highligted (if field highlighting is on).
This is the wrong way, since in the ODF code the higlighted word is both
displayed and used as the index entry. If translated in a language which
uses inflection, this would add the inflected form to the index.

The correct way is to add the index entry one word before or after. In
that case and entry is created which is independent from the displayed
text and can be translated. For example, if I would  like to add the
word "search" in the sentence " enter the text that you want to search
for", I would add it before "to". The entry is then displayed only as a
gray rectangle without any text.

Cheers,
Milos

Hi Milos

[...]

Thanks for this tip. Actually if you place the cursor before "to", then
"to" is brought to the index entry dialog, so you must change it
manually to "search" before pressing OK.

Olivier

Hi Milos,
Many thanks for that work.
Unfortunately I have logged into Nextcloud and couldn't find a subfolder called SK community within the Shared folder. So I can't see the updated files.
When I can access the updated files, then I intend to use them as the basis for the 7.0 update. I also don't have a problem using them to replace the published 6.4 files.
With regards to the screenshots, I assume that you would like the original ODS files that were used? If so, I'll investigate.
Regards,
Steve

Hi Steve,
I forgot to share the folder with you, sorry. I've just shared it with
the group tdf-members, and I hope the rights are inherited, please check.
The original ODS files would be great. I ho[ped that you have them, if
not I will ask in a new post.
thanks
Milos

Hi,
the cleaned files are on Nextcloud in Shared/SK community/Cleaned/CG64.tgz
https://nextcloud.documentfoundation.org/apps/files/?dir=/Shared/SK
community/Cleaned

I've changed a few direct formattings to styles and removed all direct
formatting by my script. Then, I've compared the cleaned documents to
the originals for any accidental changes (none found).

It would be good if the published CG files were replaced by the cleaned
ones and also if  they were used as a start for CG70.

In the text there are numerous screen shots which show content of
example spreadsheets. It would help the translators if these were
available, too. Would it be possible?

cheers
Milos

Hi Milos,

I'm sorry but I still can't see the folder containing the updated files. For what it's worth, I am a member of the "odfauthors" and "users" groups in Nextcloud.

With regards to the ODS spreadsheets used for generating Calc Guide figures, I definitely have some of them, and there will be others in NextCloud. Please give me a few days and I'll collect together as many of them as I can.

Regards,

Steve

Thanks, I now have access to the files.

Regards,

Steve

All,

I have moved the 6.4 chapter ODT files that were originally published last week to a suitably (and obviously) named sub-folder of the Archive folder.

I have also copied the "clean" versions of the files received from Milos into the Published folder. I will utilise these as the starting point for the 7.0 edits.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Milos,

I am finding it hard to anticipate exactly which spreadsheet files you might need but have placed a ZIP file in your SK community folder within Nextcloud. This archive file contains 27 of the spreadsheets that you might need. I assume that you will be able to move the spreadsheet files somewhere suitable and then delete the ZIP. (For the record, I have also placed it in the relevant Archive folder in the Documentation Team's part of Nextcloud.)

Please let me know if there are any other significant spreadsheets used in the Calc Guide that are needed to help with translation activities.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Milos,

I'm a little worried about updating the published 6.4 Calc Guide files again, because I've already taken a copy and started making some 7.0 changes to the "cleaned" files that you sent yesterday! (I assumed you had finished cleaning them)

Would it be possible to leave the published files as they are now? If you tell me which files contained the wrong quotation marks, I’ll make sure they are put right in the 7.0 versions of the files. And I'll do the same for any other translation-related issues that you highlight later.

Meantime, you can translate whichever versions of the 6.4 files are appropriate for your purpose.

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve,
thank you!
I will send the zip file to the guy who is going to prepare the screenshots

I have uploaded a new version VG64-2.tgz of the cleaned odt files. In
translation we have noticed that incorrect quotation marks were used in
the text (the machine ones "" instead of the typographic ones “” ). The
"machine" ones should be used only in the code snippets.
Regards
Milos

Hi Steve,

sure, let them be as they are. From the point of view of English the
change is nearly invisible. I will fix it again once the 7.0 version is
finished
regards
Milos