I have some experience in this project. I created epubĀ  versions for some of the chapters for LO 4.2. I even have a list of things to do including the things you mentioned that I wrote at the time. I have already started having converted the Guide ODT file to epub. I have also merged some of the xhtml files to make this more manageable. And yes, the list styles need to be checked very carefully: I had to do it before only in more complex settings. (I worked with three and four levels in some of these chapters.

Dan