Chapter 2 Entering, Editing, and Formatting Data

Hej all,

I will start reviewing chapter 2 of the Calc Guide, Entering, Editing and Formatting Data

Best regards

Leo

Hej,

I have reviewed and added some comments to this chapter.

Best regards

Leo

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the comments on chapter 2. I have processed them, accepted most
of the changes, and returned the file to the Draft folder ready for its
second review.

For the record:

   1. With respect to your comment about the white space after Figure 3. I
   agree that this needs to be reduced but feel that reducing the size of the
   figure isn’t necessarily the best way to do it. And now isn’t necessarily
   the best time to implement any fix, while the chapter is still potentially
   changing. So, I propose to address issues like this throughout the book,
   once all chapter updates are finished.
   2. With regards to giving some more information how to customize the
   formatting of numbers, the Help system includes much information about this
   – see the page entitled “Number Format Codes” at
   https://help.libreoffice.org/6.4/en-US/text/shared/01/05020301.html?DbPAR=SHARED#bm_id3153514.
   I don’t feel we need to replicate this information in the Calc Guide but
   have added a sentence in the section entitled “Formatting numbers” to draw
   the reader’s attention to the extensive help description.
   3. Regarding my proposed removal of the note from the “Numbers as text”
   section, I am struggling with the logic of including a note that is
   incorrect with respect to how 6.4 works. Do any of the other guides contain
   descriptions of how a feature used to work simply to highlight that it’s
   different now? For now, I’ve omitted the note; if you feel strongly about
   it then feel free to ask others via the mailing list for alternative
   opinions.

Thanks again for your comments.

Regards,

Steve

Hello Steve,
I have done similar thing in base guide in many places. Base has many
regressions and it is impossible to maintain the things which do not work
in a particular version and remove them from that version of guide. It also
happens that most bugs are fixed in minor releases. So most of the time, I
have written as if the bug is not there and included a note to state the
versions in which I found that very concept to not work. But Calc, is much
stable than Base so you may wish to follow another practice.

Pulkit Krishna

I'm sorry if I have given the wrong impression but you should not assume
that we are discussing a bug or a regression in this instance.

Regards,

Steve

IMO historical details or comparisons are only useful when discussing how
to work with files created and saved under old versions of LO, but it
sounds like this is not the case here. Some other guides do, or did, have
these types of notes, but I’ve also been removing them. So I’m with you on
this, FWIW.

Jean