Mail merge in the writer guide

Hi.
I have been following the messages in regards to the Mail Merge section
of the guide.
I don't use the merge for mailing. I print bar code labels with it for
serial numbered products and print individualised product certificates.

I have never found the explanations in the guide easy to follow and so
do it another way that to me seems "simpler". Possibly stemming back to
my use of Word for DOS or Smartsuite (both so long ago I am not sure).

I am not sure if there is interest in adding the following procedure I
will briefly explain, to the manual. Below is the certificate case,
useful in schools and sports.

1. Create a Calc sheet containing the information fields to print and
save it. The first row should contain column titles like Name, Score,
Placing, etc.
2. In Writer create all your text and images, borders, decoration, etc.
as you want it to look but without the inserted fields.
3. In Writer place the cursor where you want to insert data from the
Calc sheet. I.e. it could be a students name for an award certificate.
4. From the menu Insert>Field>More Fields
5. Select the Database tab
6. Select the Type = Mail merge fields.
7. If your Calc sheet from 1 does not show in the Database selection
panel, click Browse at "Add database file" below and find and select
your Calc sheet.
8. Your Calc sheet will show in the Database selection panel. Expand the
DB and the sheet and select the field with the names to print on the
certificates.
9. Click insert.

Now when you go to print you will be asked if you want to print a form
letter, you can answer yes and select the records to print as explained
in Mail merge.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Pulkit.
I apologise for the misspelling of your name previously by my phone
autocorrect. I reread the 6.0 guide again and it took me a while to see
what you meant.
My method is similar but simpler for basic applications in that creating
the data source first is not required, the data source is seamlessly
created and opened from a spread sheet from Calc or Excel or a CSV that
someone might send you to print or send in a document and from which the
fields can be inserted.
It is a different single process workflow which myself and our employees
find simpler to use and I will look to follow your recommendation to
include it in a the wiki at help.libreoffice.org.

Cheers, steve