Kees,
My Win10 setup showed the drop-down palette of Favourites from the
Special Characters icon, but my Linux setup didn't. So I dug around a
bit more and I have found the answer to the mystery. Look in the
"Visible buttons" list for the standard toolbar; you should see TWO
icons for Special Character (called Symbols on the list of visible
buttons), but usually only one will be visible on the toolbar. One
goes directly to the dialog; the other drops down the Favorites
palette. I don't know which is the default.

Shavrani,
The discussion in the chapter needs to mention this briefly, or other
readers will be confused too.

--Jean