Thanks, all.

Peter and Jean: will do.

1. One outstanding issue is that raised by Robert, regarding the DPI of
screenshots. Actually, I was thinking that existing screenshots look kind
of wonky in my PDF viewer (Okular) at many zoom levels.

I've been thinking mostly about diagrams and annotated screenshots. I don't
know what, if anything can be done about the DPI of the screenshots
themselves. By exporting at 300 DPI, we can at least ensure that the
annotations added to screenshots will be crisp.

Also, if you have everything in a vector graphics file (ODG or SVG), you
can replace the screenshot later with little or no work to fix the
annotations. If we could get all screenshots, annotated or otherwise, into
a folder for each guide, it would make it much easier in the future for
someone to update all screenshots at once.

2. Luke and Martin responded as I was writing the above. I was also
thinking about embedded SVGs myself.

I've had problems with embedding SVGs in LO in the past. I don't know if
these issues have been fixed. This alone might be reason to avoid them.

Martin: assuming we have external ODGs for annotated screenshots, is there
some other reason why exporting to SVG and embedding that would be worse
than PNG?

--Kenneth