OK, found my previous note. I had misremembered some details. Here's
an excerpt from my note.

A big problem for the compiled book was a difference in compatibility
settings between most of the chapter files and the book master file.
In Tools > Oprions > LibreOffice Writer > Compatibility, we must be
sure to UNcheck the options for “Add spacing for paragraphs and tables
(in current document)” and “Add paragraph and table spacing at tops of
pages (in current document)”. With a few exceptions, the chapters were
correct, but the master doc was not.

I tracked another big problem down to the presence of hidden sections
in the master document. They made cross-references to page numbers
come out wrong. When I manually deleted the contents of the hidden
sections, the problem went away. This is a bug. It’s been around for
many years.

Jean