I use Draw for some illustrations in a number of manuals I created and
maintain in Writer.
I have copy/pasted the illustrations from Draw to Writer, exported from
Draw as PNG (although I notice an export bug relating to resolution in
my current version) to insert as image and inserted the draw file
(Insert>Object>OLE object).
All work for me so I wonder if you have some other issue going on.

I now use Inkscape for more complicated illustrations as I can gain
finer control.
steve