Hallo Peter,

Peter Schofield schrieb am 22-Feb-20 um 09:58:
Hello

Can someone explain why the word “contour” is used in Sidebar Properties in Writer when you select
a graphic? I have attached a screenshot from Properties of what I mean.

That part does not exist in LO 7.

This Enable Contour and Edit Contour are the wrong terms to use. The term to use is Crop or
Cropping because Edit Contour is exactly the same as Cropping for a graphic. Edit Contour means to
change the shape of a graphic object. Also Crop is available from a drop down menu when you select
a graphic.

A more usual term would be "clipping path". In CSS is it named "clip-path" and "Clipping Path" command in Adobe InDesign, for example.

"Crop" should not be used, because cropping and contour-path produce different attributes/elements in file.

Cropping produces the attribute fo:clip in a graphic style. It is always a rectangle. In standard definition it can be applied to arbitrary shapes, but in LibreOffice it is only implemented for images.

"Edit Contour" produces an element <draw:contour-polygon> or <draw:contour-path>. That is only allowed as child of <draw:frame>, which here means, it is only possible for images.

Because the property itself is named "contour" ("wrap-contour" in file) and "Clip" does not exists in the UI, I think, it is correct to name it "Edit Contour".

Kind regards
Regina