Edit Contour in Graphics

Hello

Can someone explain why the word “contour” is used in Sidebar Properties in Writer when you select a graphic? I have attached a screenshot from Properties of what I mean.

This Enable Contour and Edit Contour are the wrong terms to use. The term to use is Crop or Cropping because Edit Contour is exactly the same as Cropping for a graphic. Edit Contour means to change the shape of a graphic object. Also Crop is available from a drop down menu when you select a graphic.

Regards
Peter Schofield
psauthor@gmail.com

Can someone explain why the word “contour” is used in Sidebar Properties in Writer when you select a graphic? I have attached a screenshot from Properties of what I mean.

This Enable Contour and Edit Contour are the wrong terms to use. The term to use is Crop or Cropping because Edit Contour is exactly the same as Cropping for a graphic. Edit Contour means to change the shape of a graphic object. Also Crop is available from a drop down menu when you select a graphic.

I don't think crop is appropriate in this situation, because you are not limited to rectangular manipulation. "Masking" is a synonym that is more widely used. Yet, masking is a term used by graphics professionals. Would it help ordinary word processor users in understanding the feature?

Example screenshot:
https://freeimage.host/i/contour.HsNfKg

1. Edited image contour with the polygon tool
2. Enabled parallel wrap
3. Added some gibberish text

Ilmari

Hallo Peter,

Hello

Can someone explain why the word “contour” is used in Sidebar Properties in Writer when you select a graphic? I have attached a screenshot from Properties of what I mean.

That part does not exist in LO 7.

This Enable Contour and Edit Contour are the wrong terms to use. The term to use is Crop or Cropping because Edit Contour is exactly the same as Cropping for a graphic. Edit Contour means to change the shape of a graphic object. Also Crop is available from a drop down menu when you select a graphic.

A more usual term would be "clipping path". In CSS is it named "clip-path" and "Clipping Path" command in Adobe InDesign, for example.

"Crop" should not be used, because cropping and contour-path produce different attributes/elements in file.

Cropping produces the attribute fo:clip in a graphic style. It is always a rectangle. In standard definition it can be applied to arbitrary shapes, but in LibreOffice it is only implemented for images.

"Edit Contour" produces an element <draw:contour-polygon> or <draw:contour-path>. That is only allowed as child of <draw:frame>, which here means, it is only possible for images.

Because the property itself is named "contour" ("wrap-contour" in file) and "Clip" does not exists in the UI, I think, it is correct to name it "Edit Contour".

Kind regards
Regina