Workflow & contributors guide

Team,

I should have started a new thread for this discussion. See the thread
“Base Handbook progress” for earlier notes.

It’s been clear for some time that the wiki and contributors guide need to
be updated and made consistent with our actual workflow as well as
rationalising the structure of the folders in NextCloud. I’ve been hoping
someone would come along to do that, and I think some work may have been
done, but a lot more is needed.

I’ve been spending my limited time on updating user guides, but perhaps
(after the Calc Guide is done) I should concentrate on the contributors
guide and related materials. What do you think?

Jean

Jean,

My vote would certainly be in favour of taking you up on your kind offer.
It would be of great benefit to any potential new members of the team, as
well as some of those who have joined relatively recently (i.e. me!).

Regards,

Steve

Hello Jean

The contributor guide that you authored is a valuable piece of
information and guided me in many situations for documentation and Help.

I spent time bringing the contributor guide to the wiki(*). I worked a
bit to update part of the chapters but there is still a lot to do.

I am not sure what media do you prefer, I found wiki more accessible for
reference than a PDF file, but that is personal. It worth to note that
there is no easy (automated, transparent) conversion between the 2 supports.

Kind regards

(*) https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/DocumentationTeamInfo

Thanks, Olivier. I’ll use the wiki as the source material for the
contributors’ guide and update that first. Now that I have a more reliable
and faster Internet connection at home, I can work online more than I could
a few years ago.

Team,

I should have started a new thread for this discussion. See the thread
“Base Handbook progress” for earlier notes.

It’s been clear for some time that the wiki and contributors guide need to
be updated and made consistent with our actual workflow as well as
rationalising the structure of the folders in NextCloud. I’ve been hoping
someone would come along to do that, and I think some work may have been
done, but a lot more is needed.

I’ve been spending my limited time on updating user guides, but perhaps
(after the Calc Guide is done) I should concentrate on the contributors
guide and related materials. What do you think?

Jean

Could someone link to the page your are discussing?

Thanks!

Marc

I should have started a new thread for this discussion. See the thread
“Base Handbook progress” for earlier notes.

It’s been clear for some time that the wiki and contributors guide need to
be updated and made consistent with our actual workflow as well as
rationalising the structure of the folders in NextCloud. I’ve been hoping
someone would come along to do that, and I think some work may have been
done, but a lot more is needed.

I’ve been spending my limited time on updating user guides, but perhaps
(after the Calc Guide is done) I should concentrate on the contributors
guide and related materials. What do you think?

Jean

Could someone link to the page your are discussing?

The chapters are listed in the doc wiki index: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation

Ilmari

Thanks!

[Copied from another thread. My comments below.]

Olivier Hallot wrote:

HI all,

I've been lurking on this list for ages, not knowing how to contribute.

Maybe this could be a way? I'm an editor and publisher and have "book
skills". If you were to decide to solve your gap, then perhaps that's a way
I can help.

cheers
Leticia

I have looked over previous versions of the Base Handbook, but I have not found a good example of what I should place in Contributors and Acknowledgement in the front pages of each chapter. Could this be included in the Contributors guide?

Dan

I think the current chapter template has an example. It’s changed a bit
from the previous version. I’ll be updating the info in the Contributors
Guide, too. Thanks for the reminder.

You can also look in the Getting Started and Writers Guides for examples.

Jean

My problem is how do I properly document the Base Handbuch from which my work is translated. I know the people who have contributed to that user guide get mentioned in this one as well. But I am not sure of the wording to use. I feel comfortable in referring to Base Handbuch v 6.2.

Nor am I sure of the wording for the part I am doing. In other words I am looking for a template for this.

Dan