Off-topic - bouncing email reports?

I generally get a message or two like this every few days from the mailing list manager:

Hi, this is the Mlmmj program managing the
<documentation@global.libreoffice.org> mailing list.

Some messages to you could not be delivered. If you're seeing this
message it means things are back to normal, and it's merely for your
information.

Here is the list of the bounced messages:
- 13192

When I looked at a few of the referenced messages in the archives at https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/documentation/
- assuming the message number is encoded in the URL like so: https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/document - the message in question seem s unexceptional.

I also find it very hard to believe that gmail is unavailable so often.

Is this happening to others?

Any thoughts about what's going on?

I also notice that right now the latest message in the archive is 13198 (July 24) when viewed in date order. Yet I've had bounce messages for no.s 13205 (June 28), 13219 (July 11), 13247 (July 21) and 13254 (today).

Which is rather confusing. Am I looking at the wrong archive?

Regards,

luke

Hi Luke,

I generally get a message or two like this every few days from the
mailing list manager:

[...]

I also find it very hard to believe that gmail is unavailable so often.

I don't think that it is a gmail problem. I got this message to my
private mail adress which isn't gmail.

Is this happening to others?

Jepp

Any thoughts about what's going on?

Better to ask infra team.

I googled to try to work out what you meant, Jepp.

I found
1) https://www.libreoffice.org/community/infrastructure/ and
2) https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Infra/Services and
3) https://redmine.documentfoundation.org/projects/infrastructure/issues

#3 doesn't seem to offer a way to submit an issue, and I don't want to set up yet another account. I assume that's needed despite #2 saying
"If you encounter any issues while using and/or accessing these services, please open a support ticket at our public Redmine instance"

It's another example of barriers placed that make it too hard for me to bother any further. I've already spent an hour which I didn't have, getting this far.

I'll just put the issue in the "too hard" basket.

Thanks for your response, however.

luke

Hi Luke,
sorry for my misleading mail.

[...]

Is this happening to others?

Jepp

I only want to say that I also get this message.

Hi Luke,

(if you want an answer from me, keep me CC'ed as I'm not subscribed to this
mailing list)

All three links you found are basically correct.

About redmine: If you have any account at a service which is run by The
Document Foundation (TDF) then you can use the same credentials as we have
finally a "Single-Sign-On"-server.

Back to the original topic:
Basically this happens because especially Yahoo was modifying their mail
servers a few years (?) and thus do now enforce the "DKIM" protocol, sadly a
bit too harsch (so removing mails instead of warning) which basically kills
all mailing lists. So saying: if a user posts to a mailing address from a
Yahoo; the mailing list software correctly forwards this mail to everybody
subscribed, but sadly some email providers do check if the so-called
envelope to the mail address fits to the original sender and if the
enveloper is allowed to.

There is nothing TDF can do here. As an example I do know: The Apache
Foundation changed the Address from Yahoo.com to Yahoo.com.INVALID to
suppress such behaviors.

Hope this explains a bit this situation.

Best regards,

Dennis Roczek
(part of the admin team)

The simple answer in this instance is the following assessment.

This bounce is a localized issue based upon your location of your IP/MAC
address, your ISP provider & their local servers, your email servers, and
ughh traffic in the area. :slight_smile:

*Example: The truck can deliver the package sometimes at an exact time and
other times it takes a bit to get there.*

Have a happy day good people!

Regards,
Caroline

1.404.584.8180 office
www.linkedin.com/in/vandyjuggler

I don't think that explains why it only happens to a few emails from this
mailing list though.

Nor why many of the bounced messages weren't in the archive, days later.

luke