Calc Multiple Operations tool

All,

I am putting the finishing touches to the updated version of Chapter 9 of the 6.2 Calc Guide and have found an existing sentence which I don't understand.

The LibreOffice 4.1 Calc Guide contains a note as follows:
"If you export a spreadsheet containing multiple operations to Microsoft Excel, the
location of the cells containing the formula must be fully defined relative to the data
range."

Is anybody able to clarify exactly what this means?

Regards,

Steve Fanning

Hi Steve,

All,

I am putting the finishing touches to the updated version of Chapter 9 of the 6.2 Calc Guide and have found an existing sentence which I don't understand.

The LibreOffice 4.1 Calc Guide contains a note as follows:
"If you export a spreadsheet containing multiple operations to Microsoft Excel, the
location of the cells containing the formula must be fully defined relative to the data
range."

Is anybody able to clarify exactly what this means?

Have you tried an export to Excel? The import from a two-dimensional DataTable generates the correct MULTIPLE.OPERATIONS entries, but resave by LO does not produce files, which are shown correctly in Excel.

The export to xlsx generates the function "MULTIPLE.OPERATIONS". But that function is unknown to Excel. The needed formula element with the attribute t="dataTable" is missing at all. The export to xls generates a file, which shows the correct entry {TABLE(...)}, if I open it in Excel, but the second reference is wrong and the template area is broken. But perhaps, I do something wrong.

The DataTable tool in Excel expects the template formula in the top-left of an two-dimensional target table-area. So that is at least necessary in LibreOffice too, if you want an export. I was not able to generate a one-dimensional target table with one variable in Excel and so could not test roundtrip for them.

So before wondering about some wording, you should test, whether the export works at all.

Kind regards
Regina

Hi Regina,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I have not managed to get the multiple operations export to Excel to work logically (even with the formula in the top-left cell). Does a problem report exist somewhere to investigate whether the software is behaving as intended? (I'm afraid that being new to the Documentation Team, I'm not currently familiar with the location of outstanding problem reports or enhancement requests).

Regards,

Steve

Hi steve,

Hi Regina,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I have not managed to get the multiple operations export to Excel to work logically (even with the formula in the top-left cell). Does a problem report exist somewhere to investigate whether the software is behaving as intended? (I'm afraid that being new to the Documentation Team, I'm not currently familiar with the location of outstanding problem reports or enhancement requests).

The bugtracker is https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/

I have made a search with "Multiple Operations", but non of the results was about export to Excel.

Kind regards
Regina