first set of edits to Calc Chapter One uploaded

Hi All,

I made a number of edits to Chapter 1, Introducing Calc. I am not finished, but track changes has become increasingly slow. At our last meeting, we agreed that I would share the file so that the edits to date could be reviewed and accepted by someone else, making the file easier for me to work with. I believe Drew said he would be willing to do that.

I have now uploaded the chapter to the Feedback folder on NextCloud.

Cathy

Howdy Cathy,

Great and you bet I will do a review this afternoon, though, for sure, it
need not be me alone.

Before I do there are two ways to go here:

One is to review it on-line, accepting changes or adding comments, directly
in the single copy of the file.

The other option would be to pull it down, do whatever I will do, and
upload as a copy with NC adding an auto incremented copy number during the
upload.

Either way works for me, but my first thought is to just work with it
on-line, which is what I'll do unless I hear otherwise from you.

Ah, and as I look I see Dave there also..

// drew

Heck! Is there nowhere to hide :))

I just got in and saw Cathy's post. Other than the occasional trivial
edit, I always work off-line. I have downloaded Cathy's file and given
it a "/very cursory/" look over.

I am still bogged down with chapter 2 and the template revision, so I am
not in a position to do any kind of thorough review. However, I have not
encountered any of the slowness Cathy mentioned, which is surprising,
given that the LO install on the Win 7 machine I am currently using
normally runs like a dead slug. Maybe at the end of tomorrow's meeting
we could help Cathy to change her LO memory settings via the "/Expert
settings/" to see if that improves her situation.

Dave

I should note that I work with view changes turned off, which is supposed to slow performance. The time I really notice the slowness is when making deletions.

My understanding is that there are no longer memory settings in the latest LO versions since those settings have little/no effect on performance.

Goor Morning,

OK - so I went through the entire document, on-line, and cleared all of the
tracked changes. I added three picayune edits also (typo and a missing
space) and left those for you to accept (or reject).
Also added a reply to one of your questions in the comments.

Over all it reads well IMO.

There are still a good number of questions Cathy has in the file which
could use replies, it is still on the NC server of course.

Best wishes

Drew

Hi yet again Cathy,

Today I finished the styles translation table for Drew and now I am
catching up on some of my email backlog.

Yes the _theory_ was that the memory settings had little effect. In
practice they were moved from the global options dialog into the
"/Expert Configuration/", because the majority of users do not
understand how computer hardware memory allocation works or how the
software utilizes that allocation. I have seen first hand, situations
where users, in an attempt to solve slow processing issues, have changed
resource allocations to levels their computers were unable to provide,
only to generate software or whole system crashes. Of necessity LO has
to allocate itself resources in accordance with the provisions made
available by the operating system it is running on. By it's very nature
this allocation has to be a calculated "/best guess/' and for the most
part succeeds, but like everything in life, there is no "/no one size
fits all/" solution.

In a previous message I made reference to an installed version of LO 6.x
on a Win 7 machine "/running like a dead slug/" and that is only one of
the very trivial issues encountered. I won't go into this here, but
suffice it to say that I have played every trick in the book to resolve
these issues to no avail. I just have to accept there is something in
this machine's configuration, or something else, that prevents so many
aspects of LO from working correctly.

Dave