Translating Base Handbook into English

I would like to do this if possible. What I need is documentation at to how to do it in terms of programs required. Also, what version in German should be used for translation?

Dan

Hi Dan,

My suggestion would be to contact Robert Großkopf and the German
language team. I assume you have knowledge of German, so the
https://de.libreoffice.org/get-help/mailing-lists/ should be a
reasonable starting point.

BTW. You have long been an important contributor to the docs team, so
it's great to see you becoming active again in whatever capacity you choose.

Best Regards
Dave

I helped translate the chapter on queries using Pootle around version 3.5 or 4.0. I was hoping to be able to use this program again. So far, it seems like a very steep learning curve just to install the program!

Dan

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Other than Italian, anything beyond
Google translate is outside my limited linguistic ability. Maybe Sophie
could offer you some guidance about using Pootle or an alternative to
help you do what you want to achieve.

Dave

Hi Dan,

I would like to do this if possible. What I need is documentation at to
how to do it in terms of programs required. Also, what version in German
should be used for translation?

Let us wait a little bit - I 'm just testing how to manage the changing
from HSQLDB to Firebird. The Version for LO 6.2 should contain all these
parts.

You could find the latest version of Base-handbook here:
http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/index.php

There is on the right side of the page a part called
"Bearbeitungsversionen" (version under construction? - my English isn't
the best). I put all new content into this folder.

Regards

Robert

Danke. I will wait then on the actual translating part. I still have Pootle to learn how to use. Also, Bearbeitungsversionen is translated by Google as processing versions. I think I would use the phrase as "Draft versions" since these are the ones that still need to have more work done on them. Yet I understand what you meant by "versions under construction."

Dan

I don't think will set a project for this translation on Pootle because
you'd need to get the sources as .po files. Projects on Pootle are
related to LibreOffice code or website.
Instead, we have a translation project dedicated to guides on Github
(https://github.com/LibreOffice/OmegaT)
Using OmegaT (https://omegat.org/) will allow you to translate and
commit transparently just buy saving, and allow you to work with a large
variety of file formats (TDF ledgers are translated each month from
German using OmegaT for example)
You will find a short guide here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/UsingOmegaT

Let me know if you need further help.
Cheers
Sophie

At least I now know how to install pootle. Now to remove it. Come to think of it, it was OmegaT that I used before. So this week I will be setting this up on my computer. Thanks for the links! I am also thinking that working with  earlier versions of the Base Handbook will help me get an idea of what I should be doing. I seem to remember that having some documents in German and their translations in English will help with future translations. But first to read the information in your links...

Dan