GS 6.0 - Chapter 16 (Appendix B)

Hi all,

I make a translate of this Chapter and see paralogism.
In the paragraph "How is LibreOffice licensed?" talks about MPL. And the
next paragraph talk about principles in GPL. There is nothing explanations
about that MPL and GPL are copyleft and interchangeable. However, the user,
especially one that is just starting way into the Open Source Software,
does not have to know the subtleties of licensing. If you strictly do not
want to say that LibreOffice is licensed under two licenses MPL and GPL
(and this is so, see the code), this requires at least to clarify that the
licenses are very similar and compatible.
Otherwise, it's just not clear.

How is LibreOffice licensed?
LibreOffice is distributed under the Mozilla Public License (MPL) 2.0.
See https://www.libreoffice.org/about-us/licenses/
What is “open source”?
The four essential rights of open-source software are embodied within the
Free Software Foundation’s General Public License (GPL):

Best regards,
Lera

Hello Lera

I Have reviewed the changes and approved some, rejected others.

File is uploaded in Feedback folder.

Thank you indeed.

Olivier

Hi, Olivier et. al.,

I just downloaded this updated doc (Chapter 16, app. B), and it states:
LibreOffice is distributed under both the Mozilla Public License (MPL) 2.0 (
https://www.libreoffice.org/about-us/licenses/) and the GNU Lesser General
Public License (LGPL) 3.0+ (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl-3.0.en.html).

while the official webpage https://www.libreoffice.org/about-us/licenses/
states:
LibreOffice is made available subject to the terms of the Mozilla Public
License v2.0 <https://www.mozilla.org/MPL/> which is reproduced below.

So which is true?

Lp, m.

HI Martin
See second paragraph in the page:

------8<-----
There is no requirement to assign your copyright to anyone in order to
get your code included into LibreOffice - all contributions are welcome,
but we do ask that you license your code to us jointly under both the
Mozilla Public License v2 and the GNU Lesser GPL v3+ licenses. Please
see our guidelines for licensing and copyright attribution (which are
there solely to make our life easier). You can also see a list of past
and present contributors and their license statements. In addition you
can read historic details about the process of re-basing LibreOffice
onto the Apache licensed based.