Calc Guide 6.x

Hi List!!

In the last meeting of 11/27/2017 I discussed with Jorge Rodriguez on
updating the Calc guide to a forthcoming release (likely after 6.0).

I liked Dave Barton's method (*) we adopted for the Getting Started
Guide 6.0, which consist in listing the features added and removed,
collected in a document for each release since 4.1, and up to the next
release (no deadline set). A team review and task assignment will follow.

So I opened a wiki page for anyone that wants to contribute to the
preparation of the update of Calc Guide 6.x

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/Calc/6.x

Individual chapters for Calc Guide 4.1 (last released book)
http://documentation.libreoffice.org/en/english-documentation/calc/

Release notes since LO 4.1

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.2
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.3
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.4
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.0
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.1
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.2
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.4
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/6.0

Calc and spreadsheet experts, please join our efforts!!!

Regards
Olivier

(*)
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/6.0

Can that be done for each component (Math, Base, Calc, Impress, Write,
Draw) of LibO?

change/addition/removed gets listed anywhere.

jonathon

Hi all.Hi Oliver.I'd like to help with this but I just don't know how.When you say "listing the features added and removed" I'm not sure what you mean.I've accessed the link to RN 4.2 and I searched for "removed".Then I found (Installer (Windows only) => The option to select which Modules to install has been removed from the Windows Custom install dialog (Andras Timar).)Is this one example of what we should list in the wiki that you've created?
RegardsAndrea.

Hello Jonathon

Of course, please do it at your earliest convenience. Note that this is
a long term task and for better results it will be nice to have
volunteers to step in to form the author team.

For Writer, Jean Weber is currently coordinating/updating the Guide
herself. Anyone interested, please join her in the effort.

Kind regards.

Bom dia Andrea

Since release 4.1 (the last release the current Calc Guide is based on),
LibreOffice has incorporated many new features and drop/changed many
other **for Calc**.

The initial task is to name which feature was changed since release 4.1
and list in the wiki page (only for Calc).

The case you mention (Windows installer) is not related to LibreOffice
Calc, so it should not be in the list.

Each release note listed has a section on Calc. That is the primary
target for picking the features to write about.

Kind regards

Olivier

Hi!
I´d liked this idea.
And how will we manager the tasks?
For example, if I want to start with Introducing Calc chapter, where I
notice this?
This will help another persons don't work at the same chapter. Or not?

Let me see if I understand:
I take the Introducing Calc chapter from 4.1 and applied the changes from
ReleaseNotes/4.2, 4.3, 4.4,5.0 until 6, and I write all the final text at
link
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/Calc/6.x#Introducing_Calc
.
Is that correct?

[]s
Xys

At The initial task is to name which feature was changed since release 4.1
and list in the wiki page (only for Calc).
Thanks
Xys

Hi Oli,so... I see that in the new page/wiki you've already listed the sections of Calc.- Introducing Calc- Entering, Editing, and Formatting Data.- Using Charts and Graphs.- etc
Then I accessed (https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.2) and I 've found section "4. Calc".There is one item, with a sub-item in it.
So, I think I should copy this info from the RN to the wiki, right? But how do you know exactly where, to which chapter in the wiki should I copy it?Also, if I get this right, there are 6 items in section "4. Calc". I imagine that it can happen that they don't belong to the same chapter in the Calc documentation?
I'm sorry for so many dumb questions. I wanted to help but if you think I'm creating more work than helping I won't insist on contributing with this task. Just let me know.Kind regardsAndrea.

Can that be done for each component (Math, Base, Calc, Impress, Write, Draw) of LibO?

Of course, please do it at your earliest convenience.

If I do it, it will list all the minor things that few know exist, and
even fewer know how to utilise --- (BAILS, for example, functions
differently in the 6.0 builds, than it does in the 5.0 builds) --- and
completely miss the major changes - (default standard layout has
undergone a change in what is included, and where on the bar it is located.)

Note that this is a long term task and for better results it will be nice to have

Has anybody in the past constructed a complete, and exhaustive list of
features, functions, etc for any specific version of AnOO, AOo, BhO,
BrO, EO, LibO, OOo, OOp, RO, or other clone? If so, who, and more
importantly, how can I get a copy of it.

Basically, I'm looking for a checklist, to more easily determine what is
completely gone, and what is merely hiding in the "Advanced
Configuration Setting".

jonathon

Olá Xys

Hi!
I´d liked this idea.
And how will we manager the tasks?
For example, if I want to start with Introducing Calc chapter, where I
notice this?
This will help another persons don't work at the same chapter. Or not?

Let me see if I understand:
I take the Introducing Calc chapter from 4.1 and applied the changes
from ReleaseNotes/4.2, 4.3, 4.4,5.0 until 6, and I write all the final
text at
link https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/Calc/6.x#Introducing_Calc.
Is that correct?

Yes. You must read the chapter (Introducing Calc) and then look at all
release notes for Calc (4.2 to 6.0) to see if one of the changes applies
to the Chapter. If you think a change applies, please indicate in the
wiki page the subject of the change.

We will do for all chapters ('Entering, Editing, and Formatting Data',
'Using Charts and Graphs', etc..) and list the necessary updates to the
book.

For example, Release 5.4 introduced Pivot graphs, a feature that is not
described in the old book and will be target for writing a section with
description, examples, tips and warnings for pivot charts.

On a second step, the team will review all flagged additions/removals
and decide if it stands or not. This will give us the workload to update
the contents of the Guide. While reviewing, some of the team members can
pick a topic and update the chapter.

[]s
Xys

At The initial task is to name which feature was changed since release 4.1
and list in the wiki page (only for Calc).
Thanks
Xys

Yes.

I hope this explains the process. Feel free to ask

Olivier

Hi Andrea

Hi Oli,
so... I see that in the new page/wiki you've already listed the sections
of Calc.
- Introducing Calc
- Entering, Editing, and Formatting Data.
- Using Charts and Graphs.
- etc

Then I accessed (https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/4.2)
and I 've found section "4. Calc".
There is one item, with a sub-item in it.

So, I think I should copy this info from the RN to the wiki, right?
But how do you know exactly where, to which chapter in the wiki should I
copy it?

Well authors must know how to work with Calc. The most knowledgeable,
the best. As I explained to Xys, you must pick a chapter -say "Using
Charts and Graphs" - which explains how to create charts and graphs from
spreadsheet data, and check in the release notes what new feature for
Calc is related to the chapter contents.

Also, if I get this right, there are 6 items in section "4. Calc". I
imagine that it can happen that they don't belong to the same chapter in
the Calc documentation?

Each feature listed in the release notes for Calc should land in one of
the Guide's chapter. For example, new calc function will go to chapter
"Formulas and functions". But the author team will review/discuss the
contents.

I'm sorry for so many dumb questions. I wanted to help but if you think
I'm creating more work than helping I won't insist on contributing with
this task. Just let me know.

No problem at all.. you are welcome!

Kind regards
Olivier

Hi Jonathon and all:

It looks and sound so good

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez

In going through the publicity broadsheets that list new features, I'm
seeing the apparent major changes, but not the minor changes. By way of
example, BAILS was not mentioned until two or three releases after it
was first included in LibO.

As far as checklists go, I'll simply create a spreadsheet, and walk my
way through the menus, and configuration options of LibO 6.whatever I
installed yesterday. (It is a version that the daring look at, the
reckless install, and the foolish try to run.)

Now wondering how I managed to get 2500 functions in Calc.
And more importantly, what do those functions do.

jonathon