Minutes of the Documentation Team Meeting of August 2nd 2017

Wednesday August 2nd 2017, 19:00 CET

* Presents: Amanda Labby, Paul Figueiredo, Jorge Rodriguez, Olivier
Hallot, Dave Barton

COMPLETED ITEMS
AI: + Publish in a wiki page (Dave)
           + published (Olivier)
AI: + Establish the milestones (Olivier)
           + Pending, better frame after Dave's outline work

Questions & Answers from the team

MAIN TOPICS
      * Getting Started Version 6.0

Review of the Features to update of Getting started 6.0
(from the wiki page
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/6.0 )

Preface
Additions to Help Menu
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3#Help
Skip - No use to A GS guide

Chapter 1 – Introducing LibreOffice

* Navigator Improvements
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3#Navigator
2 or 3 lines on this subject (Dave Barton)

* Text Layout improvements
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3#Text_Layout
Skip - Too technical

* Change of color palettes
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3#Change_of_color_palettes
yes (Amanda)

Safe Mode
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3#Safe_Mode
Yes, write about (Paul)
https://goo.gl/6uLdU8

Toolbars & Sidebar Changes
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3#Toolbars
A couple of lines. Maybe a screenshot. (Amanda)

* Localization
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3#Localization
Skip

Revamped the Extension Manager
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3#GUI
Update screeshot.(Jorge)

Keyboard shortcuts now appear in context menus by default
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3#GUI
One or 2 lines (Paul)

Windows Installer
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3#Windows
OK (Dave)

Notebookbar
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.4#Notebookbar_.28experimental.29
(Skip until confirmed in 6.0 as not experimental)

Support for some OS versions removed
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.4#Platform_Compatibility
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/6.0#Platform_Compatibility
Update (Dave)

Linux Quickstarter is removed.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/6.0#Platform_Compatibility
(Dave)

Chapter 2 – Setting up LibreOffice

* Document signing
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3#Document_signing
(Olivier)

Improvements in open/import filters
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3#Improvements_in_the_Binary_Microsoft_Office_filters
(No relevant to GS)

Icon Changes
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3#Icons
(Jorge)

New Import filters – StarOffice binary files & Zoner Callisto/Draw files
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3#New_Import_filters
(skip)

Next meeting August 9th 19:00 CET (Berlin Time)

* Evaluation of the workload so far
* continuation of the topics selection for update

Hi Team !

I have updated the wiki page on the GS 6.0 with the contents we
discussed below.

see it at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/6.0

Kind regards
Olivier

Sorry I missed the first few minutes of the meeting, due to computer
problems. I would argue that the new additions to the help menu (eg.
Links to the "User Guides", "Get help online.." aka Ask Libre) are
important and should be added to the GS Guide Preface, under the "Where
to get more help" section. If there are no objections, I will create the
initial draft for the GS Guide Preface.

Thoughts?

Dave

Dave
Indeed. I'm correcting the wiki page.
Thanks for pinpointing it
regards
Olivier

OK No problem. I will start on the draft tomorrow morning (my time). To
avoid any possible confusion I will also amend the wiki page
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/User_Guide_Tasks
from GS - LO v5.3 to GS - LO v6.0

Regards
Dave

Hi team!

Where to get the files to work on? The GS 5.2 chapter files are
available in many places:

* ODF Authors website

https://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/published-lo-5-2

* Documentation website

http://documentation.libreoffice.org/en/english-documentation/getting-started-guide/

* wiki page

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#User_Guides

*Remember*
1) set your name in the LibreOffice User Data (Tools - Option -
LibreOffice - User data)

2) activate the track changes (Edit - Track changes - Record) before
editing.

3) Wherever possible, use LibreOffice 5.4, recently released

Kind regards

Olivier

Wednesday August 2nd 2017, 19:00 CET

* Presents: Amanda Labby, Paul Figueiredo, Jorge Rodriguez, Olivier
Hallot, Dave Barton

(snip)

Thank you Oliver for the information

Regards,

Jorge Rodríguez

Hi Team

* Document signing
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.3#Document_signing
(Olivier)

Looking twice on the subject, Chapter 2 is about application setup and
configuration. The document signing cited above is related to PDF
signing. This topic should rather be placed in Chapter 10 "Printing,
Exporting, e-mailing", that has a section on document signing.

And while we are here, I suggest chapter 10 be renamed to "Printing,
Signing, Exporting and E-mailing Documents".

Kind regards