Published chapter of GS5.2

I'm doing final cleanup of the GS5.2 files and putting them here as I do them:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/published-5.2

Please use these files when updating for v5.3.

When I have finished going through all these files, I will create PDFs
and put the ODTs and the PDFs on the wiki in the usual place. I will
also compile the book.

--Jean

Hello Jean

I can compile the book after all files are reviewed, but a final review
may be necessary. Let me know if you agree.

Regards

Olivier,
Yes, please compile the book. I'll do a final review after you've done
that. A file with the covers, copyright page and TOC are in the folder
with the chapter files, ready for you.
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/published-lo-5.2

--Jean

Hello Jean

It took a bit more time than I expected but I finally got it.

I reviewed each individual chapter WRT styles and direct formatting
(DF). Got some surprises to see DF messing paragraphs, lists and
images styles that shifted contents out of position here and there.

I applied table styles to all text tables.

I fixed some image formats and residual DFs on it, that insisted to
vanish when compiling the book.

I updated the master style with some tweaks I had to do for the
chapters. All commented.

Where do I upload all these files? Note that it has another round of
revisions (formatting) after your published chapters.

Thank you

Olivier

I made a new folder:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/published-lo-5-2-revised/

The revised files also need to go on the wiki to replace the ones I
put there. I can do that, if you wish.
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications

--Jean

Hello Jean

I uploaded the files to ODF Authors

You'll see
* The template (OTT)
* The chapters (ODT)
* The compiled book in ODT and PDF

The HTML export of the chapters can be visualized in the following
(unannounced) page:

https://goo.gl/xUUG9V

Regards

Olivier

Hi, Olivier,
what Jean usually does with published chapters - she sends them through a
script that cleans of unnecessary tags so that translation is easier.
It woul be good to follow this also with your finished chapters and the
book.

Thanks, m.

Hello Martin

Because I wanted to have a unique source for books and web pages
(XHTML), I took Jean's 5.2 chapters (were they cleaned by the script? I
guess yes) and I started exporting to XHTML. That is, I took what Jean
uploaded as final.

I guarantee no direct formatting (DF) was introduced by me. Rather, an
intense work on the style tuning was necessary.

On exporting to XHTML, I found several issues hidden in ODT or PDF that
I managed to fix or change with another solution. All fixes are in
revised ODT files.

None of the fixes for the issues found changed the visual result of the
ODT source and the PDF export.

Kind regards
Olivier

No, I do not run a script on the files. Milos Sramek
<sramek.milos@gmail.com> has been doing that, but probably not on this
book (because I didn't tell him the files were ready).

--Jean

If wanted, I can do it for this release.
Lp, m.

If wanted, I can do it for this release.

Thanks a lot, it would be great :slight_smile:
Cheers
Sophie

Hi,

I just sent Jean and Olivier the link to the "cleaned" files so they can
upload them to proper locations.

Lp, m.

Hi Martin,

Hi,

I just sent Jean and Olivier the link to the "cleaned" files so they can
upload them to proper locations.

Thanks a lot :slight_smile:
Cheers
Sophie

Hello Martin, all

Hi,

I just sent Jean and Olivier the link to the "cleaned" files so they can
upload them to proper locations.

Lp, m.

<mailto:gautier.sophie@gmail.com>>:

    Hi Martin,
    > If wanted, I can do it for this release.

    Thanks a lot, it would be great :slight_smile:
    Cheers
    Sophie

    <mailto:sophie.gautier@documentfoundation.org>
    GSM: +33683901545 <tel:%2B33683901545>
    IRC: sophi
    Release coordinator
    The Document Foundation

Hi Martin
Thanks for the cleaned files.

However, after some time spent comparing them I found an issue in
Milos's python script.

Take GS5200-Preface.odt and compare the Note text (green bullet) where
it says "Some Linux distributions include LibreOffice..."

The cleaned file is in bold text, no matter you remove direct formatting
and apply the "Text Note" style. The output of the python script is

--------8<-------
olivier@olivier-ntbk:~/52/Test$ ./odtclean.py -i GS5200-Preface.odt -o
clean/GS5200-Preface.odt
cleanSpans(T) : { s }
cleanSpans(T) : { Some Linux }
cleanSpans(T) : { distribution }
cleanSpans(T) : { s include }
cleanSpans(T) : { as part of the installation and may not include }
cleanSpans(T) : { all the }
cleanSpans(T) : { icon set }
cleanSpans(T) : { s mentioned above }
cleanSpans(T) : { . You should be able to download }
cleanSpans(T) : { o }
cleanSpans(T) : { ther }
cleanSpans(T) : { icon set }
cleanSpans(T) : { s }
cleanSpans(T) : { from the software repository for your Linux }
cleanSpans(T) : { distribution }
cleanSpans(T) : { if you wish to use them }
cleanSpans(T) : { . }

--------8<-------

For the time being, I'll let the files as they are at the moment,
because they are good for publication. I recall that Jean cleaned the
5.1 final files which are the base of our 5.2 update.

Also, the script handles only character formatting + and an ancient OOo
style. Most of the issues I found in compiling the book and also
exporting to XTMHL dealed with other issues, especially in images and
lists, not in the scope of the script. I'll blog-posting my findings soon.

Lessons learned, lessons applied: Creating books with LO needs "manu
militari" discipline on styles.

Kind regards

Hi, Olivier et. all.,

"cleaned" files are the only option for l10n teams to localize as they
clean/extract all unneeded tags added by editing/touching the text. That
way translation by using existing translations in the OmegaT and similar
tools is possible. Otherwise we keep adding unnecessary tags that editing
of those files in LO produces.

Anyone using OmegaT knows what I am talking about. If there is an error in
Milos' script, I am sure he will investigate when he finds time so ... We
just need some tool to clean the odt files.

So for translating the files in Slovenian I for sure will use the cleaned
files and not the officially published ones.

If any l10n team needs the cleaned files, I can provide the link.

Lp, m.