GS5.2 Ch4 Getting Started with Writer draft

I have updated (and slightly revised) Chapter 4, Getting Started with
Writer, and put it here:

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-5.2/gs5-2-ch4-writer/view

--Jean

Answers inline below.

Hi Jean
I'm new in LibreOffice project, and I'd love to be more active and help the
group but sometimes I don't know how.

For, example, this document you've update, is there a ticket/request for it
in bugzilla ?

No, we have not been using bugzilla for the user guides. Discussion is
on the documentation mailing list, and we use ODFAuthors website for
sharing files. Here is a page of introductory info, with links to more
info:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development

(Some of this may be out of date, so do let us know if something
doesn't match what you see.)

We are supposed to track what we're doing on the wiki, here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development/UserGuideTasks

I'm working against tickets. Olivier gave me this ticket and I'm trying to
find things there I can contribute there. I can write/ review docs, and I'd
like to help with tests.

You said the someone has to review Chapter 4 GS document. What kind of
review is it? Just check the English (typos, grammar etc) or the
functionality? If it is an editorial review I can do it.

Functionality. Is it up to date for v5.2?
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.2
Did I miss something that should be included? Do the illustrations
match LO when you follow the instructions?

I have questions about the ODF Authors too. I don't know how it works. I
don't get if the Folder Getting Started Guide is for all LibreOffice
features, because I see a specific folder for Writer Guide, another for Calc
Guide... so I don't understand this folder structure...

These are each individual books. Most of them have not been updated in
awhile. They correspond to the lists on this wiki page:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications

So all the chapters of the *Getting Started Guide* are in that folder,
and the chapters for the *Writer Guide* (a separate book) are in a
different folder on ODFAuthors.

BTW, several chapters in the Writer Guide for v5.2 also need review.
These are a bit more difficult because that book is being revised from
v4.2 to v5.2, so there are many pages of release notes to go through
-- and many more changes needed in illustrations and instructions.

Well, if you could help me with some infos and answers I'd be very grateful.

I see you have an account on the ODFAuthors site. If you don't already
have an account on the wiki, you can create one for yourself.

P.S. I recommend that you send all correspondence to the documentation
list, not just to me. I am not always available, but usually there is
someone who can answer questions for you.

In the last three or four days, I've been using LibO 5.3 beta 2.

One thing that is immediately obvious, is that how do to things,
literally depends upon what options for MUFFIN the user has selected,
and what options have been deselected.

I think that Christoph Schaefer is overstating the case, in how Colour
Palettes are affected, but, for me at least, it drove home that LibO 5.3
documentation has be written tabula rasa.

jonathon

Hello Jean

I have updated (and slightly revised) Chapter 4, Getting Started with
Writer, and put it here:

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-5.2/gs5-2-ch4-writer/view

--Jean

I have reviewed your chapter and added some contents in document
classification. I put it in the same Draft folder.

Some remarks on formatting
I am interested to get a minimal HTML readable copy of the contents of
all guides [1]. So far editing in LibreOffice and exporting (not saving
as) XHTML does seem to be promising way to get it, but it requires some
style changes and also some manual changes in the source files (odt).

* HTML does not like tab character at all. It is visible in author's
list on each chapter and on general lists.
- The Author's list tabs can be moved into a table with no borders
- The bullet or numbered lists must be inspected and, the tab character
automatically inserted after the bullet or number, must be replaced by a
space. Even better, use a list style to handle this setting.

* Note, Warning and Tip bullets are swallowed by the export.
- I need to find a way to recover or get workaround.

* Images: The XHTML export does not handle graphics, OLE objects or
drawings. Only images.
- I changed these drawings into images
- A side benefit is that the images don't depend on the settings of the
source computer (fonts, backgrounds, etc....)
- I saved the original drawings into a separate Draw document.

This is not an exhaustive list of issues. More to come later

[1] https://goo.gl/9kxZ74

Note for future on styles:
* Style names should be prefixed (e.g. TDF-Heading 1, TDF-Heading 2, TDF
Default)
* Avoid using automatic styles
* get a style for numbered list and for bullet lists.

Kind regards

Do you want it proof-read?

Hello Hazel

Do you want it proof-read?