Reorganising the Writer Guide: A Proposal

For several years, I've been thinking about making some organisational
changes to the Writer Guide, to better serve users.

First, I intend to move Chapter 10 (Templates) to be Chapter 8, just
after the two chapters on styles. The current Chapter 8 (Images) and
Chapter 9 (Tables) will become Chapters 9 and 10, respectively.

Second, I think that at 475 pages and growing, the Writer Guide is too
long and intimidating. I propose to split it into two parts (volumes),
which I'm calling "Essentials" (Chapter 1 through the new Chapter 9)
and "Extras" (Chapters 10 through 16 and the current Appendix A). Each
part would be approximately 250-290 pages.

Third, I am considering splitting the somewhat long Chapter 3 (Working
with Text) and Chapter 4 (Formatting Pages) into two chapters each,
similar to the two chapters on styles. One chapter in each would be
called "Basics" and the second "Advanced" (or similar terms).

Fourth, I am considering moving the current Chapter 2 (Setting Up
Writer) to be an Appendix of Volume 1.

--Jean

Hello Jean

Sorry for being late, Olympics are disturbing the routine...

For several years, I've been thinking about making some organisational
changes to the Writer Guide, to better serve users.

First, I intend to move Chapter 10 (Templates) to be Chapter 8, just
after the two chapters on styles. The current Chapter 8 (Images) and
Chapter 9 (Tables) will become Chapters 9 and 10, respectively.

OK

Second, I think that at 475 pages and growing, the Writer Guide is too
long and intimidating. I propose to split it into two parts (volumes),
which I'm calling "Essentials" (Chapter 1 through the new Chapter 9)
and "Extras" (Chapters 10 through 16 and the current Appendix A). Each
part would be approximately 250-290 pages.

On a personal choice, I think "Advanced techniques" is better than "Extras".

Third, I am considering splitting the somewhat long Chapter 3 (Working
with Text) and Chapter 4 (Formatting Pages) into two chapters each,
similar to the two chapters on styles. One chapter in each would be
called "Basics" and the second "Advanced" (or similar terms).

OK

Fourth, I am considering moving the current Chapter 2 (Setting Up
Writer) to be an Appendix of Volume 1.

Yes.

I find Advanced techniques very nice. But I'm not sure if the chapter about
setting up Writer should go at the end as appendix... To me should stay
where it is.
Just my thoughts.

Cheers,
Sylvia