GS 5.1 Chapter 6 (Impress) uploaded to draft folder for revision

Hi all

I've added information on Impess remote at the end.

Once Impress and Draw chapter are revised and published, the Getting
Started 5.1 Book is ready for final assembly.

I will now take the published chapters for LO 5.1 and update for LO 5.2.

Kind regards

Hi Milos

Hi all,

some time ago I've cleaned up files for GS 4.2 and I would like to do
the same also for 5.1. The modifications are mostly oriented towards
translation - in order to make it possible (often messy) direct
formatting should be removed by a clean up script. In order to not to
spoil formatting, prior to that I want to check and correct all formatting:
- convert direct formatting to an appropriate style if necessary (e.g.
bold to LOMenuPath)
- convert styles reset by direct formatting to default text to the
default style

Thanks indeed for that. I learned the hard way while translating with
OmegaT.

Except for that I want to check index entries. Some on them are bound
directly to text - in languages with inflection this results in
inflected entries in the index, which is bad.

Yes. Although I managed to convert references from e.g.
[Figure n]
Figure [n]

I may have let some of them pass.

I have in fact already done this for most of the files - the rest will
take me a few days. I will also check for any text changes, to make sure
no changes were introduced.

Thak you very much indeed. Much appreciated.

Olievier, pls, wait a few day with the update to 5.2

yes, of course. Let me know when you're done.

Kind Regards,

Olivier

Hi Milos

Thank you for that.

Hi Olivier,

you can find the modified files at
http://bender.dam.fmph.uniba.sk/~milos/GS51-cleanup . There are three
folders:
orig - the original downloaded from the odfauthors page
manual - manual modifications of origs
clean - files from manual cleaned by the script (you can find it in the
manual folder). This is a new version of the script, the earlier one was
unable to remove certain combinantions of tags. You will notice it if
you try to translate in the future - the new version is "cleaner"

I've compared the manual and cleaned files using the "Compare documents"
function. LO 4.4 does not show any differences, LO 5.1 shows "empty
differences", which seem to me to be result of a bug in LO 51.

I've also visually compared one document page by page, no differences
were visible.

That is a good indication that the path is correct.

I manually modified a few index entries, references and formattings - a
few manual changes to italics or bold or a few changes from styled text
to plain text (with style kept). Comparison of orig and manual or orig
and clean shows these changes and sometimes shows differences where
there are none (e.g. show that xxx was replaced by xxx).

Please bear in mind that categories for references are not translatable,
thus it is necessary to change - e.g. - [Figure 3] to Figure [3] because
in the second case, "Figure" can be translated.

I have also modified styles. For example, where both "Strong emphasis"
and and LOStrongEmphasis were used, I have removed the first and
replaced it with the second.

Makes sense.

In the first chapters only LO styles (LOEmphasis LOStrongEmphasis,...)
are used now, but later the older OOO styles (inheriting from
OOODefault) are used. Does it make sense to change them to LO styles and
thus make it the same in all chapters? I just do not know how to make
them really the same - maybe using a common template? Renaming in
individusl file probably is not enough.

At the moment, I'd like to avoid excessive manual workload and delays.
If it is easy to do (perhaps a 4 lines macro can do it, not sure...)
then ok.

When time comes to define the styles for the next version (6.0), then I
think we can go thru a revision of the styles aesthetics and include our
expertise in working with styles.

I'll process the remaining two files once they are finished

Thanks again for your priceless help.

Hi,

could the "cleaned" files be published as final chapters (and not the
"uncleaned" ones?). It would be much better because the l10n teams would
have access to the really cleaned 5.2 chapters for translation?

Thanks,
m.

Martin, I'll replace the published chapters with Milos's cleaned ones, on
both ODFAuthors and the wiki.
--Jean