GS5.1 Getting Started - all chapters published

I've reviewed and published the last of the GS 5.1 chapters. When
Milos has cleaned them, I'll combine them into a book.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to getting this done.

--Jean

Would someone be kind enough remind me:
  o Why the chapters need to be "cleaned"?
  o What is it that Milos does to "clean" them?
Thanks
Dave

Here is what Milos said in a recent note:

The modifications are mostly oriented towards translation - in order
to make it possible (often messy) direct formatting should be removed
by a clean up script. In order to not to spoil formatting, prior to
that I want to check and correct all formatting:
- convert direct formatting to an appropriate style if necessary (e.g.
bold to LOMenuPath)
- convert styles reset by direct formatting to default text to the default style

Except for that I want to check index entries. Some on them are bound
directly to text - in languages with inflection this results in
inflected entries in the index, which is bad.

Hi Dave

From the presentation of Milos in Bern (*), here is what translators see
when translating "uncleaned" document:

Original:
<f0>T</f0><f1>he </f1><i2/><f3>Menu bar </f3><f4>is
where</f4><f5> you </f5><f6>select</f6><f7> one of the menus
</f7><f8>and various </f8><f9> sub-menu</f9><f10>s
</f10><f11> appear </f11><f12>giving you more</f12><f13>
options.

And after cleaning:

Cleaned:
The <i0/>Menu bar is where you select one of the menus and
various sub-menus appear giving you more options.

The multitude of tags <> is generated by translation tools like OmegaT
on each direct formatting change detected. While visually the result is
the same, internally the contents carries all pieces of edition and
direct formatting made by the user.

Kind regards

Olivier

(*)http://conference.libreoffice.org/assets/Conference/Bern/slides/MilosSramek.pdf

Jean, Oliver, thank you both. I had a vague recollection that this had
something to do with translating the guides and now I clearly understand
the importance and process of the "cleanup".

Regards
Dave