Message from Translators to Authors...

Dear Authors

When translating some of the ODF Authors books I found the following
issues that hit the speed of the translation and efficiency of the CAT
tools.

1)
When using cross-references to objects in the text (Figure, Table,
Frames, etc...) please don't use "Category and Number" in the reference,
but only "Number". Put the Category out of the cross-reference and write
it in the text.

This is because the Category is translatable while the number is not.
For example, the text

"See Figure 12 on page 30"

If "Figure 12" is is a cross-reference with Category and Number, we
can't translate "Figure". We have to change the cross reference to
Number in the translated text, and this requires a longer revision
process. CAT tools are not prepared to detect this (OmegaT).

2)
Wherever possible, avoid direct formatting (DF). If impossible, please
clean the DF before applying DF changes. DF has consequences in CAT
tools by mushrooming formatting tags that fools translation memories and
turns translation a longer, manual task. The lesser DF, the best.

Thank you and kind regards

Hi Olivier,

Ooh, yes, I remember why I stopped using OmegaT because of this very
frustrating occurrence. It was something I encountered when I tried to
use OmegaT to translate the Base Guide from German. This is probably one
of the reasons why most of the Guide translations are done manually,
rather than with a translation memory system, as the time consumed
resetting hard formatting is enormous, and quite frankly, if you are
already typing your translation as you along, why should you have to
bother with sorting out the hard formatting :wink:

Good luck !

Alex