Video Tutorial Link in Help

Sorry for the direct message, was suppose to go on the list
Cheers
Sophie

Sujet : Re: [libreoffice-documentation] Video Tutorial Link in Help
Pour : Joel Madero <jmadero.dev@gmail.com>

Hi Joel,

Hi All,

We have a volunteer (Robert Alexander) who has started making some tutorial
videos that are supposed to coincide with help files.

My hope is that we can figure out some way to link these files within the
help itself. Any thoughts on that being a possibility? If we use youtube
(at least at the beginning) I believe that translating is possible for
subtitles.

A couple examples are below:
https://youtu.be/Q8V-5yeTHCM
https://youtu.be/DtEzyM28rlc

Thoughts much appreciated. This would obviously be an ongoing task but I
think that having tutorials for lots of features would be quite helpful for
those who aren't capable or interested in reading help files (for whatever
reason).

But UI will still be in English, and handling translations in Youtube is
not really ideal. Also, lot of people don't have external internet
access or have YT blocked in their company so they won't be able to
access them anyway.

The best would be to create a dedicated playlist on TDF channel like we
have done for French, see:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0pdzjvYW9RFl1ZRu8MkE3QxWQSt7Xktk
and link it to the documentation on the wiki.

Cheers
Sophie

Hi Robert,

So the news is not good (at least in my opinion). Of course you can
continue doing the videos but it seems like because you can't speak in 200
languages we can't link it in the help files. Having English only would
interfere with locale teams (I'm still unclear how but I'm no expert there
and one of the experts has guaranteed me that such a link would have dire
affects on the community).

So what you could do is just create a youtube channel and post the
videos...obviously visibility would be substantially less but, that's where
we are.

You could then create a wiki somewhere useful that links to your videos.

Wish I had better news - I'm still looking into the possibilities but right
now there seems to be a big blocker in getting such a cool addition to the
product.

Best,
Joel