Getting Started Doc for 5.0.x?

Presently only chapters 1, 2, 3, 6, and 8 have even had drafts written. I have not seen anyone else volunteer to work on another chapter. Nor has anyone volunteered to work on the other guides other than the Base Guide and the Base Handbook . We need some people that are willing to help produce the documentation.
Dan

Even worse, IIRC some of the "drafts" aren't actually updated; they have
notes on what needs to be done.

Two of our more prolific contributors (John Smith and Peter Schofield) have
left, citing other priorities. (I hope they and their families are well.) I
have cut my work back to very little. I hope the new team mentor, whoever
they turn out to be, can re-energise the group and bring in, mentor, and
keep some new people.

Other than this ongoing practical problem of no one to do the work, I think
Marc's suggestion is good; and, indeed, I think we were theoretically doing
what he suggests.

--Jean

Just curious... what is the demand for the comprehensive manuals actually
like?

Are a noticeable number selling through Lulu? Do we have any indication how
many copies of the ODT and PDF docs are downloaded? Are they something the
user base uses and references a lot? Or are people looking more just online
without ever looking at the docs? Do the companies and government offices
doing conversion over to LibreOffice use these docs or some other doc
prepared by the migration team?

This was something I never really got a grasp on years ago as well...

Clayton

Just curious... what is the demand for the comprehensive manuals actually
like?

Are a noticeable number selling through Lulu?

Yes. I can get the numbers for you, but not right now.

Do we have any indication how

many copies of the ODT and PDF docs are downloaded?

No, though there may be a way to find out.

Are they something the

user base uses and references a lot? Or are people looking more just online

without ever looking at the docs?

I suspect most users never look at documentation in any form, even if/when
they know it exists. We might be able to get some indication from the user
support list.

Those people who do read the user guides (either print or PDF) sometimes
write notes of profuse thanks to us for producing them.

--Jean

> Those people who do read the user guides (either print or PDF) sometimes
> write notes of profuse thanks to us for producing them.

That's a good sign :slight_smile: Getting feedback like that shows that the hard work
is paying off for at least a portion of the users. That counts for a lot.

Clayton