Getting Started Doc for 5.0.x?

Hi all,

I am just helping out a small group using LibreOffice and wondered if there is a version of Getting Started for v.5.0.x?

If that version is not available is the v.4.2 the latest guide ... it is the one on this page that I am on: https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/

Thanks for the info.

Marc

That link is to the latest. Very little has been done on a more up to
date version. :frowning:

--Jean

Hi all,

Lately, I have been thinking about the available documentation for v.5.x.x of LibreOffice which we all know is in the works.

I am wondering if the following would make any sense to the documentation workflow:

At the announcement of any large upgrade to LibreOffice, (in this case v.5.x.x), that the documentation team (all members) make sure that the "Getting Started" guide gets its full attention and is given priority in being updated. At that point, all other documentation updates are put on hold, and the "Getting Started v.X.0.0" takes precedence in getting completely updated after which, when done, the doc team returns to its normal workflow.

This would ensure that at the very least the "Getting Started" guide is completed and ready for publication.

This would also ensure that the LibreOffice teams have, at the very least, the "Getting Started" guide to offer LibreOffice users at the individual or large scale installation education/business/corporate levels.

So, my suggestion is that, at the very least, the "Getting Started" guide would get precedence in getting updated for the large upgrades for:

LibreOffice v.5.0.0
LibreOffice v.6.0.0
LibreOffice v.7.0.0

The "Getting Started" guide would then eventually be part of the announcements/news releases of the major LibreOffice upgrades. The benefit to this is that the LibreOffice documentation team would then have more of a raised profile at the time of these major news releases and would also have one completed documentation to offer organizations such as Libraries, educational users, corporate users, and individual users of LibreOffice etc.

I know this is asking much of the doc community, but my concern at this point is that we are now working at v.5.0.4 where some users and large scale installers may move to this latest version of LibreOffice, but will find that there is no documentation available for it, but that some documentation is being updated but with no fixed date of completion.

Would this approach work?

Note that the reason I am suggesting this is also because I am hoping to convince a few libraries in Canada to purchase the guides, but they would most likely not want to purchase the LibreOffice v.4 if the most recent v.5 has been out for a while. The same for a group of local LUG users and also other individuals I help with LibreOffice v.5.x.x.

Marc