Windows users and git/gerrit

The recent challenges that Peter has faced with git and gerrit has got
me to thinking about how we can go about providing better guidance for
Windows users.

As has been noted in the other discussion, the instructions for
anything related to contributing is very Linux oriented (for many
reasons). The CygWin option is also a bit of a vertical leap. There
are however many Windows oriented solutions for git and even gerrit
that could maybe simplify things. For example, has anyone here tested
or tried using TortoiseGit? (still CLI involved, but within an easier
to use container)

I'm currently in a situation where I only have Linux on all computers
(I do have one computer with a Windows VM that I use for testing, but
it's unavailable right now), so I cannot poke around for a reasonable
solution to the challenges Peter is struggling with.

In the long term, the WIkiHelp solution will vastly simplify this
contribution hurdle, but it's not yet ready. In the mean time... how
can we better help Peter and others who are nervous or unfamiliar with
command line?

Maybe this... https://git-extensions-documentation.readthedocs.org/en/latest/getting_started.html
(suggested by Beluga in IRC). Other options? Ideas?

Clayton