[libreoffice-l10n] Part_title tags in 5.1 help - what should l10n teams do?

Hi Lera and all,

Yes these have been my changes in order to reduce duplication of translations, which is what <embed> and <embedvar> is used for.

With that particular example, we had 'ImageMap' as regular text in all module main0102.xhp files, which meant that 'ImageMap' was being translated 4 or more times, as the help page title is 'ImageMap Editor'. So using <embedvar>, i eliminated having this duplication.

I dont see an issue that translators would need to place the translated word for ImageMap in the necessary position. Example in Russian:

"Редактор <variable id=\"imagemap_part_title\">Сенсорного изображения</variable>"

Yousuf 'Jay' Philips

Hi Jay,

obviously you should learn more about natural languages.

Please read this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflection
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_(grammatical_number)
etc.

I can give you a simple example for Slovenian:
ImageMap Editor = Urejevalnik slik s povezavami
ImageMap = Slika s povezavami

Do you get it now? Placeholder for "ImageMap" in Slovenian cannot be
used. End of story.

Not to mention there are far more complex languages in the l10n pool
of LO, so programming sentences is really out of the question for
LibreOffice.

Please undo all your changes in the code/pot files.

Thanks,
Martin

I see your point. But it seems not correct. In the title 'ImageMap Editor' the
Russian phrase for Imagemap has one form (case ending), while when it goes
without Editor, just ImageMap — then it will be in another form. See the
difference below:

Сенсорного изображения: Imagemap in Russian for ImageMap Editor
Сенсорное изображение: Imagemap in Russian for just ImageMap

So there should be two different places for that phrase in Russian language.

Best regards,
Lera

In general, it is a very bad practice to split translatable strings into
different parts. Even if it duplicating parts of the strings increases
the work for translators, it is often the only way to gt proper
translation for many languages. The increased effort can always be
alleviated by good translation memory.

Regards,
Khaled

Thanks everyone for your input into the issue. I have correct the issue by having the variable on its own separate line in the help files.

https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/19745

Yousuf 'Jay' Philips