Intro

Hello,

I'm new, and I'd like to introduce myself. I'm a 38 yr old Australian
living in Europe, and keen to help out with documentation for LibreOffice.

For the past 5 years I've been a technical writer and language trainer here
in Europe. (primarily a medical writer, but wishing to move more into
software now).

I've worked a little bit with Atlassian software (confluence), and I'm
comfortable writing step-by-step how-to guides with images. I use os x
primarily, however I'd like to dual boot windows (or virtualize) so I can
write documentation (with images) on the windows side too, eventually.

Hobby is programming, mainly C.

*Could you please provide me with a user account for our ODFAuthors site?*
Many thanks!

Best,
Michael Cullen

Mike,

Welcome! I'll set up your account at ODFAuthors within the next day. (It's
late here in eastern Australia, where I am.) I'll also post some specific
suggestions about things that need to be done, unless someone else in the
group does that first.

-- Jean

Hi Mike,

I have created the ODFAuthors account for you.
You should have gotten an email with a link to set your password.

I let Jean give you the information on how to get started.

Welcome to the team!

/Sigrid

Hi Mike,
I see Sigrid has created your ODFAuthors account. You can create an
account on the wiki yourself.

The best way you can help right now is to review and edit chapters of
the Base Handbook for LO v5.0, which has been translated from German
into English. Some parts were translated and edited several years ago,
but the book has been updated since, and the newly translated parts
need editing.
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/base-handbook/drafts_5.0

Dan Lewis is working on Chapter 1; I am working on Chapter 2; Steve
Schwettman is working on Chapter 3. You could start with Chapter 4
or choose any other file in the book. Some sections need heavier
editing than others, to match the writing style and the terminology
used in the rest of the book and in our other books.

However, if you'd prefer to do something else, that's okay too. We've
been concentrating on the user guides, but there are other docs to
choose from; just ask for other suggestions, or look around and
suggest something yourself, if some topic particularly interests you.

You will have questions. It's best to ask them here on the list, not
directly to me, because I'm often not available but someone else can
usually help you.

--Jean

Dear Jean and Documentation Team,

As per your suggestion, I navigated to

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/base-handbook/drafts_5.0

However I see that:

*Drafts_5.0*
There are currently no items in this folder.

I found this under 4.2 though:

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/base-handbook/drafts_4.2/newly-translated-material

But I am uncertain if I am in the right section.

Could someone please direct me to the Chapter 4 parts that need correction,
for v5.0 ?

Many thanks

Kind regards
Michael Cullen

You might want to verify that you are logged into the odfauthor's site (check top right corner). You won't see the version 5 drafts unless you are logged in.

If you are logged in and still don't see them, perhaps there was a problem creating your account.

Regards,
-- Steve

Mike,
As Steve said, you must be logged in to your ODFAuthors account before
you can see the files in the Drafts_5.0 folder for the Base Handbook.
And that is the correct place from which to take the chapters that
need work.

I checked, and you do have an account on the website. Did you get the
email about setting a password for your account? If not, I can do a
password reset for you and generate another email.

--Jean

Hello Jean,

All good now, thanks a lot. I can see the files.
I've downloaded BH5004-Forms_HR.odt

Hi Mike,
How are you doing with this chapter?
--Jean