introduction

Hello,

My name is Steve. I just signed up for the mailing list and I wanted to get involved in any way that I can to help with the documentation for LibreOffice. I've been an OpenOffice/LibreOffice user for many years and have converted basically everyone I know. I thought it would be nice to give something back.

Over the years I've been a software developer, project manager, systems administrator, and technical writer. But at the moment I'm a stay-at-home Dad until my daughter is old enough for school. In my spare time I've developed a number of web sites such as http://www.freeindenver.com.

Years ago, my very first job out of college was as a technical writer, building the help system for a web application used by real estate agents. So I thought this was an area where I could contribute to your cause.

I will continue to read through the Intro docs to learn how to get started, and if there's any place specific that I can help out, just let me know. I'm a native English speaker, and I'm fine with editing/proofreading if that's something you need.

Thanks,
-- Steve

Hi Steve,
Glad to have you here. If you don't already have an account on the
ODFAuthors website, where we store our working files, I'll set one up
for you -- as soon as I find out your surname and your preferred
username. You can sign up for an account on the wiki yourself.

The best way you can help right now is to review and edit chapters of
the Base Handbook for LO v5.0, which has been translated from German
into English. Some parts were translated and edited several years ago,
but the book has been updated since, and the newly translated parts
need editing.
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/base-handbook/drafts_5.0
(You won't see the individual files until you have an account.)

Dan Lewis is working on Chapter 1; I am working on Chapter 2. You
could start with Chapter 3 or choose any other file in the book. Some
sections need heavier editing than others, to match the writing style
and the terminology used in the rest of the book and in our other
books.

You will have questions. It's best to ask them here on the list, not
directly to me, because I'm often not available but someone else can
usually help you.

--Jean