Are id attributes needed on paragraphs and headings in .xhp help files?

Hi all,

the doctype definition xmlhelp.dtd makes the id attribute of type REQUIRED in all cases. It is needed surely for sections and variables, because they are embedded elsewhere and need to be referenced.

But is the id attribute needed for headings and paragraphs too? There exists already some files having paragraphs without an id attribute, and the files in the delivered .jar archives have stripped the attribute too. But I do not know whether processes exists, that need it. What about translation, or transformation to the Wikihelp, or the help compiler itself, or while generating the .jar files?

If the id attribute is not needed, then the authoring tools can do without generating id values.

Kind regards
Regina

Hi Regina,

the doctype definition xmlhelp.dtd makes the id attribute of type
REQUIRED in all cases. It is needed surely for sections and variables,
because they are embedded elsewhere and need to be referenced.

But is the id attribute needed for headings and paragraphs too? There
exists already some files having paragraphs without an id attribute, and
the files in the delivered .jar archives have stripped the attribute
too. But I do not know whether processes exists, that need it. What
about translation, or transformation to the Wikihelp, or the help
compiler itself, or while generating the .jar files?

If the id attribute is not needed, then the authoring tools can do
without generating id values.

Sorry for the late answer. From what I know, the paragraph ID's are not
necessary for wikihelp, and I doubt they are necessary for the help
compiler.

Let me add the l10n team to see if they are necessary for the
translations... Are they?

If not - then I'd remove them from the tooling, dtd, and from the help
repository too, to reduce the noise there :slight_smile:

Thank you,
Kendy

Hi Jan,

Jan Holesovsky schrieb:

Hi Regina,

[...]

I have looked in the .po files now. Each entry has the structure like this example

#: anchor_object.xhp
msgctxt ""
"anchor_object.xhp\n"
"par_id3151235\n" <-- here is always the id
"52\n"
"help.text"
msgid "Anchors the selected item to a character."
msgstr "Verankert das ausgewählte Element an einem Zeichen."

So the id gets an individual line there. But I have not found further information about the structure.

Kind regards
Regina