Need help To convert Excel Sheet to Libre sheet

Dear Users,
I'm David Johnson, from the Technology team from Janalakshmi Financial Services, Bangalore based NDFC. Currently we are migrating our excel based application to Libre office; hence I need Help on the same. We have been using a survey kind of tool which is developed in Excel to be converted in to Libre office. Can anybody advice us how we go about it. It has to work on all the platforms. Please advice.

If there is anybody (a consultant) in around Bangalore. Who can support us are welcomed. Look forward for your support at the earliest.

What's your problem specifically?

Unless there are macros, usually it's enough to open LibreOffice Calc and
let it open the excel file. Then save it in odf (.ods) format.

Let is know of there are troubles with these steps, and please report
specific problems.

All the best.

Dear Gabriele and Tim,
PFA; This is the Excel Macro sheet we are trying to convert. Could you please help me.

That is a true statement - LibreOffice does not support the proprietary
Microsoft VBA (it may in a very very limited way but not enough for most
test cases that I've seen) - you'll have to rewrite it in Basic.

Best,
Joel

You mean a paid professional? I could ask one or two people - if you're
instead asking for a volunteer to assist, best bet is to just asked
around on the email thread and maybe the OOo forum (there are a few
great macro people over there).

Best,
Joel

Dear Joel & Tim,
Thanks for your valuable inputs, appreciate it. Is there any professional, whom you know, could help me to redevelop the same in Libre Calc.

Dear Joel,
It is a paid processional, we need to recreate the same excel in Libre office, we need this at the earliest.

see the list of certified migration professionals at <http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/professional-support/>

Indeed the certified migrators are a good place to start to poke people.
You can also contact CIB who may be able to help.
https://libreoffice.cib.de/

Best,
Joel

Hi :slight_smile:
As you probably know the Indian Government is making a strong push to free
themselves from the vendor lock-ins created by using non-OpenSource
products.

So, it is possible there may even be funding to help with this sort of
thing or there may well be some organisation, or conglomeration of
organisations to help with this sort of work.

Almost certainly you may well be able to find someone local who can do the
re-programming either as a one-off for just this Excel-Calc migration or as
a part-time employee/consultant to help with similar jobs in the future or
to help as 2nd/3rd tier in-house IT Support for any issues that may "crop
up" in the whole migration away from all the Microsoft and other
proprietary products.

One of the advantages of OpenSource is that you don't have to wait until
some profit-making organisation decides on the value to them of the help
you need. With an OpenSource program you can pay someone to do it for you,
on your priorities, or even have a go yourself. If your code is of good
enough quality then it might well be added to the main program. Many
organisations find that paying for a dev to work on their own issues is
still cheaper than paying licensing fees as well as giving them more
control. Quite a lot of the development of LibreOffice is due to many
organisations co-operating with each other in this way through The Document
Foundation.

A bit oftopic, but I would really love this in KiCad soon!

Dear sirs:
From Canada:
1) Bravo to India for standing up to those who would seek to
economically jeopardise its sovereighty!
2) I do a lot with Spreadsheets, and import and export are no surprise.
My experience tells me that no matter what kind of file one has, the
degree of internal structural complexity and what amounts to internal
executable code, is closely related to the difficuklties to be found it
importing and exporting.
For this reason, before I start a spreadsheet, I have my own
LibreOffice templates that I use for various situations.
These are set in Canadian or American English for the most part
(although some parts may be set for French or Spanish.
Transverbalisations:
I also use an .ODS spreadsheet for anothrer application:
Transverbalisations. This is somewhat like a text-searchable, highly
correlative Multi-lingual Thesaurus. I developed it out of the one time
 need to translate a number of French expressions into English in the
training I was receiveing in a basic sales training.
The training epoisode was short-lived, but the application lived on
independently, and since has been somewhat enhanced to support Spanish.
However the application can also be enhanced to support many other
languages, but for that I would need the close collaboration of others
who can speak, read and write these other languages.
As far as I kknow, the some 18 Languages aside from Englsih that are
spoken in India are written left to right. However for those languages
(usually descended from the ancient Arameic in the middle east, as well
as half of Urdu) there is an assed bit of code that is intended to be
added to Libre Office to deal with the right to left concern in text
documents, frames etc.
Having not actually used this myself, I would have to defer anything
that nature to one who speaks one of those languages.
Some of the issues to be found in importing spreadsheets:
Hyperlinks may not always import without the need for cleanup. This
will depend somewhat on the type of hyperlink. Also hyperlinks that
target outside the file level may cause problems if their targets are
no longer in the same path as they originally were, notwithstanding the
spreadsheet type itself. This is particularly true if the target is
somewhere within the user's own system or within the LAN side of a
network. In the latter case, it will accue ongoing to the systems
administrator to maintain the stability of the LAN so as not to
engender unnecessary problems of this type.
Hyperlinks that access the internet are less likely to cause problems,
as long as their ultimate targets are not changed on the outside, and
there is no firewall rule that will interfere.
These are a few bits of information that may add to your insight as to
the huge migration the Indian Government is seeking to do, albeit out
of very serious necessity!
Best Regards,
Bruce Martin