Introducing Myself

Hi All,

I wanted to introduce myself to the documentation team, as it does say so in the wiki :D. I've been with LO for the last 2 years, working with the QA, design and UX teams. I have started contributing to the documentation, as my work with the UX team involved me reorganizing the menubars in all the apps and these changes should be reflected in the help as well.

I'm currently working with kendy, olivier and regina to improve the help authoring tool and pushing my changes to it upstream now that i have the dev-tools repo configured. A new version of the tool should be out within next few days with a number of my fixes, but for those wanting to try it earlier than that, they can grab my 3.1.0 forked version from the following link. The google docs document contains the various fixes i think should be implemented and whether i've been able to fix them myself. Others are welcome to add their issues with the tool to the document.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PWerIggak-XyuwtME-bYLtdnyw2LHoCUrJjhAqHcVO4/edit?usp=sharing

I'm also writing up a proposal on how we can lower the barrier for users to contribute to improving the help, by allowing it to be edited online by both novices and exports, which you can seen in the following google docs document.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MULCsm8gD-QPv-W1LbHBynnY0eD16Q6uXsrzpgfJdvQ/edit?usp=sharing

I look forward to your comments in the google docs documents and working with you for the betterment of libreoffice.

Hi Jay,

[...]

Thanks for your work on this!

I'm also writing up a proposal on how we can lower the barrier for users
to contribute to improving the help, by allowing it to be edited online
by both novices and exports, which you can seen in the following google
docs document.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MULCsm8gD-QPv-W1LbHBynnY0eD16Q6uXsrzpgfJdvQ/edit?usp=sharing

As you know the help is the main documentation for several languages and
has to be translated and available offline. With you second wiki, how
the changes:
- will be managed by all the languages?
- what if a new comers doesn't know the function and multiples edit are
needed?
- how would that be merge in Pootle to be available for the next versions?

Cheers
Sophie

Hi Jay,

[...]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PWerIggak-XyuwtME-bYLtdnyw2LHoCUrJjhAqHcVO4/edit?usp=sharing

[...]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MULCsm8gD-QPv-W1LbHBynnY0eD16Q6uXsrzpgfJdvQ/edit?usp=sharing

I look forward to your comments in the google docs documents and working
with you for the betterment of libreoffice.

I think you should open enhancement bug reports in TDF bugzilla and
attach ODF documents to them. A commenter can attach a new version and
it is easy to track the evolution of the proposal.

Having proposals on an external tool is a lost of autonomy for the
Community. We can't rely on Google for the continuity of your documents.

Best regards.
JBF

Hi Jay,

Hi Sophie,

I'm also writing up a proposal on how we can lower the barrier for users
to contribute to improving the help, by allowing it to be edited online
by both novices and exports, which you can seen in the following google
docs document.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MULCsm8gD-QPv-W1LbHBynnY0eD16Q6uXsrzpgfJdvQ/edit?usp=sharing

As you know the help is the main documentation for several languages and
has to be translated and available offline. With you second wiki, how
the changes:
- will be managed by all the languages?

The second wiki is to provide online access to modify the english help files without having to do it offline through the git repo. I'm not sure how the other languages are handled, as they are not in the git repo, so i'm assuming it is handled in pottle.

- what if a new comers doesn't know the function and multiples edit are
needed?

Well the edits would be reviewed before being accepted, so it would be up to the reviewer to judge if it should be added or not, which is no different than how it happens now on gerrit.

- how would that be merge in Pootle to be available for the next versions?

The proposal wouldnt change the current behaviour of how things are managed in pootle, unless the english help is being managed there.

Cheers
Sophie

Yousuf 'Jay' Philips

Hi Sophie,

Yousuf 'Jay' Philips píše v Čt 10. 09. 2015 v 18:53 +0400:

> As you know the help is the main documentation for several languages and
> has to be translated and available offline. With you second wiki, how
> the changes:

Just to add, and not to scare people off; it does not have to be exactly
a "wiki", the substantial part is that

* it is accessible online (to decrease the entry barrier)
* but changes are reviewed via gerrit

So as another option, I'm just evaluating online xml editors; eg.

http://holloway.co.nz/doctored/

looks promising - presents the xml in a way that it looks more like a
document than xml. It's yet to see how much configurable it is (but I
think it could accept the helpcontent's DTD), and how hard it will be to
connect that to pushing to gerrit.

Either way, there some good possibilities & we'll keep you updated.

All the best,
Kendy

Hi Sophie,

As you know the help is the main documentation for several languages and
has to be translated and available offline. With you second wiki, how
the changes:

Just to add, and not to scare people off; it does not have to be exactly
a "wiki", the substantial part is that

* it is accessible online (to decrease the entry barrier)
* but changes are reviewed via gerrit

I think this functionality can quite well be achieved with github, though i'm not sure if there is a means to interface push requests from github with gerrit.

So as another option, I'm just evaluating online xml editors; eg.

http://holloway.co.nz/doctored/

looks promising - presents the xml in a way that it looks more like a
document than xml. It's yet to see how much configurable it is (but I
think it could accept the helpcontent's DTD), and how hard it will be to
connect that to pushing to gerrit.

Seems interesting and it could provide the type of facility for advanced users mentioned in my proposal.

Either way, there some good possibilities & we'll keep you updated.

All the best,
Kendy

Look forward to your updates.

Jay

Hi Jay,

Hi JBF,

I think you should open enhancement bug reports in TDF bugzilla and
attach ODF documents to them. A commenter can attach a new version and
it is easy to track the evolution of the proposal.

Having proposals on an external tool is a lost of autonomy for the
Community. We can't rely on Google for the continuity of your documents.

Well i put my proposal on google doc rather than including it as a large email to the mailing list. It is fine to discuss the proposal within the mailing list, as is going on currently.

Jay

Hi,

Hi Jay,

Hi JBF,

I think you should open enhancement bug reports in TDF bugzilla and
attach ODF documents to them. A commenter can attach a new version and
it is easy to track the evolution of the proposal.

Having proposals on an external tool is a lost of autonomy for the
Community. We can't rely on Google for the continuity of your documents.

Well i put my proposal on google doc rather than including it as a large
email to the mailing list. It is fine to discuss the proposal within the
mailing list, as is going on currently.

I didn't ask to attach your proposal to an email, but to a bug report in
BugZilla. As already said, your proposal is invisible to whom who do not
want use Google Docs.
It is strange to work on the improvment of LibreOffice and not use it to
make proposals. Currently you are spreading the idea that LibreOffice is
not suitable for collaborative work.

Best regards.
JBF

Hey,

Well i put my proposal on google doc rather than including it as a large
email to the mailing list. It is fine to discuss the proposal within the
mailing list, as is going on currently.

I didn't ask to attach your proposal to an email, but to a bug report in
BugZilla. As already said, your proposal is invisible to whom who do not
want use Google Docs.

For those who dont wish to read the proposal on Google Docs, i've uploaded it here. < https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:Online_Editing_of_Help.odt >

Jay