Base handbook 5.0 Some thoughts

Hazel will be very helpful in translating some of the chapters. At some point I want to try to do some of them. I will have to use the same process as Robert: word by word. (I do have two years of college German.)
   As I began reviewing chapter one,I was able to make changes because I have a good knowledge of how Base works in English. So it seems that translating something into one's native language can be easier than translating something from it with a good background in the subject.
   I seem to live the furthest west of the four of us (UTC-4).So, this determines when I do things.

Dan

Hi,

some months ago I have already written about this: I suggest to use
omegat for translation of the handbook. My experience is that this will
simplify and speed up the translation process and will enable to reuse
old translations for new BH versions in the future

If you agree I will
- set up the environment at https://github.com/LibreOffice/OmegaT
- transfer there all existing BH translations
- upload German -> English translation of GUI strings (so that one
needs not to guess)
- translate the whole guide by Google translate, so that it can be used
to avoid some typing

The next week I will probably not have access to the Internet, but then
I have time to work on that

best regards
Milos

Hi,

I have set up the environment to translate the BH from German to English.
You may test it by downloading the zip file from
https://copy.com/jU89uDkfTnnmLQ4Q
You can find more about the process in the pdf file.

To start:
1. download and install OmegaT from http://www.omegat.org. I use the
Linux with 64-bit JRE
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/omegat/files/OmegaT%20-%20Latest/OmegaT%203.5.1/OmegaT_3.5.1_Beta_Linux_64.tar.bz2/download>
version
2. Download and unzip the above mentioned file. The BaseHandbook
directory will be created
3. start omegat and open this directory (Project > Open)
4. Choose a file you want to work on. Some strings were already
translated by me (yellow)
5. To create a translated file, choose Project > Create current
translated document. It will apper in the BaseHandbook/target directory

Using Omegat:
On the left you can see the segments to translate, on the right you can
see suggestions
Tab stores the segments and moves to the next one (CTRL-U moves to the
next untranslated)
CTRL-R copies a suggestion to the currently translated segment. You can
navigate through suggestions by CTRL-Arrow (up, down)

To help in translation I have:
- added GE->En GUI translation (file glossary/lo-gui-uniq.csv) (appears
in context menu of source text underlined by blue thick line)
- translated everything using google translate (displayed as suggestion,
file tm/BH-google-de-en.tmx)
- aligned existing translations for chapters 1 and 7 (displayed as
suggestion, files in tm). The alignment was not perfect, perhaps because
the files were translated only partially.

You can find the files to be translated in the source directory. These
should be changed, if one wants e.g. to replace original screenshots
with the English ones (so not in the translated files). This is
transparent for translators: once changed, these files are downloaded
automatically to translator's computer.

Revisions: if a translated document is checked and corrected, the
changes must be introduced back using Omegat into its translation memory.

If you find this useful, I will upload the files to LibreOffice github
area, so that several people can translate simultaneously. To access it
one needs account at https://github.com/

I will gladly answer you questions

best
Milos

Thanks for doing this for us. I have already installed OmegT on my tower and laptop (my only Internet connection). I have used OmegaT using the Base Handbook files I had already downloaded. I will follow your directions to see what I can do with it. If I have any questions, I will let you know.

Dan