OmegaT translating the German Base Handbook

The problem with the**TDF documentaion is that the information
    is not clear in several areas. Assumptions are made that the reader
    knows what is meant when such is not the case. More details needed
    to be added. For example, the section /Adding UI.po /is only for
    people wanting to translate the LibreOffice interface. Perhaps this
    was my fault in thinking this article was about how to use OmegaT to
    help translate the German Base Handbook into English.
         Problem that seems to involve what I want to do: Adding a 3rd file.
    1.Now, using the mouse, copy all text for both files and paste it to
    a new file.
          Just how am I suppose to copy these two files into one? Copy
    the first one and then the second one?
    2. Save the new file as a txt file, check the alignment of the
    segment and correct it using this tool
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/ and then export it as .tmx
    file.
          How is this going to match up segments? How does it know what
    segments to match?

    Dan

Hi Dan,

         The problem with the**TDF documentaion is that the information
   is not clear in several areas. Assumptions are made that the reader
   knows what is meant when such is not the case. More details needed
   to be added. For example, the section /Adding UI.po /is only for
   people wanting to translate the LibreOffice interface. Perhaps this
   was my fault in thinking this article was about how to use OmegaT to
   help translate the German Base Handbook into English.

Adding UI.po is done to add the vocabulary from the interface not to
translate it, translation is done via Pootle. But I agree it assumes
that you are part of the UI/Help translation team and you're used to
manipulate .po files. I've described the process but of course you can
improve the steps and add the good wording.

        Problem that seems to involve what I want to do: Adding a 3rd file.
   1.Now, using the mouse, copy all text for both files and paste it to
   a new file.
         Just how am I suppose to copy these two files into one? Copy
   the first one and then the second one?

Yes, whatever, you can even create a third file, it's only text files
and from 2 you should have only one containing all the strings.

   2. Save the new file as a txt file, check the alignment of the
   segment and correct it using this tool
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/aligner/ and then export it as .tmx
   file.
         How is this going to match up segments? How does it know what
   segments to match?

I didn't tried that yet, so don't know how to answer that. Segments are
portions of text that OmegaT use for translation. Paragraphs are
truncated into segments which are not exact sentences.
What you could do is try to go further and see what it is about. Then
come back and we try to help from where you are.
Kind regards
Sophie

Hi all,

I have fully translated the following parts of the Base Guide into French :

Version 4.1 Preface (ODT)
Version 4.1 Chapter 1 (ODT)

Version 4.3 Preface (GDOC)
Version 4.3 Chapter 1 (GDOC)

The remaining chapters of the 4.3 Base Guide have been partly translated
by Google Translate - unfortunately the translate function within Google
Docs only works for approximately the first 10 pages of text.

Is there any way to make a TMX out of any of the above, as well as
making them available on the github that Milos has created. I have to
say that Google Translate really isn't that good, and it is often
quicker just to translate directly from Robert's original German text,
but perhaps these files can be of some use for ongoing work ?

Just let me know.

Alex

Rummaging around in my hard disk, I have also found the following which
I translated into French :

Version 3.5 Base Handbook Preface (ODT)
Version 3.5 Base Handbook Chapter 1 (ODT)

and three files from when I first tried working with OmegaT on the Base
translation (and subsequently gave up) :

TRANSLATIONS-level1.tmx
TRANSLATIONS-level2.tmx
TRANSLATIONS-omegat.tmx

If these are of any use too, I can gladly send/upload them to the github
repo if someone tells me where.

Alex