Base Handbook 5.0

Hi *,

I have tried to translate the first chapter of the German
Base-handbuch 5.0.
The german version is already published here:
http://de.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/

I have uploaded the English version here:
http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/lo_hb_en/

All chapters would begin with "BH5 ..."
For chapter "Preface" I haven't changed anything I found in the
English BH35. To chapter "Introducion ..." I added a lot.

I have set Writer to Edit > Track Changes > Record Changes / Show Changes.

If there is anybody, who want to have a look and want to laugh a
little bit about the combination of Google Translater and a person,
who couldn't write English very well ...

I will try to translate the other chapters the same way. So I could
add new content, when editing the German version, directly to the
English version.

Hope this would help to publish a newer Verion of the English Handbook
nearly at the same time than the German Handbuch.

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

First a very big thank you for your work on the original German Base
Handbook and for starting the contribution of English translations.

If you want others to review your work, should we upload this material
to a new "Base Handbook 5" folder on the ODF Authors website and process
this through the the normal review/edit procedure there?

As a matter of general interest, is there any kind of review/edit
process used in the production of the German edition of this handbook,
or is this something you work on alone? My reason for asking is to see
if there is a way to refine the ODF Authors review process to make it
easier for new contributors to follow. Milos Sramek did not get any
feedback when he raised this issue some time ago, but I believe it is
something we need to give some consideration.

BTW I will not start laughing a your translations until my knowledge of
German is better than your knowledge of English. Which means you will
not hear a single giggle from me for a very very long time. :wink:

Thanks & Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

If you want others to review your work, should we upload this
material to a new "Base Handbook 5" folder on the ODF Authors
website and process this through the the normal review/edit
procedure there?

In the beginning of documentation I have used ODF-Authors also. Must
have a look how it works.

As a matter of general interest, is there any kind of review/edit
process used in the production of the German edition of this
handbook, or is this something you work on alone?

The first Handbuch has been reviewed from other persons. Only a part
the content of chapter "Macros" for this first Handbuch has been
edited by someone else. Also the index has been created by someone
else. All other content I have written and other people have had a
look for orthography. So there was no reason to use ODF-Authors. I
have first uploaded the content to my website and with the new release
of every LO-Version I uploaded also a new version of Base-Handbuch to
the wiki and linked it to the german LO-homepage.

My reason for asking is to see if there is a way to refine the ODF
Authors review process to make it easier for new contributors to
follow. Milos Sramek did not get any feedback when he raised this
issue some time ago, but I believe it is something we need to give
some consideration.

We could work with ODF-Autors. But for many people I am a little bit
impatient ... I want to get a new Base-Handbook in the same
release-cycle as LO. This is how the Geramn Handbuch is released.

BTW I will not start laughing a your translations until my
knowledge of German is better than your knowledge of English. Which
means you will not hear a single giggle from me for a very very
long time. :wink:

A little bit fun while reading a book isn't wrong.

Regards

Robert

Hi Robert,

Hi Dave,
> If you want others to review your work, should we upload this
> material to a new "Base Handbook 5" folder on the ODF Authors
> website and process this through the the normal review/edit
> procedure there?
In the beginning of documentation I have used ODF-Authors also. Must
have a look how it works.
> As a matter of general interest, is there any kind of review/edit
> process used in the production of the German edition of this
> handbook, or is this something you work on alone?
The first Handbuch has been reviewed from other persons. Only a part
the content of chapter "Macros" for this first Handbuch has been
edited by someone else. Also the index has been created by someone
else. All other content I have written and other people have had a
look for orthography. So there was no reason to use ODF-Authors. I
have first uploaded the content to my website and with the new release
of every LO-Version I uploaded also a new version of Base-Handbuch to
the wiki and linked it to the german LO-homepage.

No, I was not suggesting you should use the ODF Authors website.

> My reason for asking is to see if there is a way to refine the ODF
> Authors review process to make it easier for new contributors to
> follow. Milos Sramek did not get any feedback when he raised this
> issue some time ago, but I believe it is something we need to give
> some consideration.
We could work with ODF-Autors. But for many people I am a little bit
impatient ... I want to get a new Base-Handbook in the same
release-cycle as LO. This is how the Geramn Handbuch is released.

You should use whatever method works for you and the German team.
I was just interested if there was something you were doing that could
be adapted for the English section of the ODF Authors process. With a
few exceptions, it seems that we lack a sufficient number of
contributors with your determination (impatience) to get the job done.

> BTW I will not start laughing a your translations until my
> knowledge of German is better than your knowledge of English. Which
> means you will not hear a single giggle from me for a very very
> long time. :wink:
A little bit fun while reading a book isn't wrong.

Regards

Robert

It would be great if you could find the time to do some more
translations of the other chapters. Any chance you could encourage some
of the German team's bi/multi-lingual members to help out with this? I
seem to recall that Hazel helped out with previous translations of the
Base Handbook, but I don't know if she is still available and/or willing
to work on this revised edition. There are possibly others who I have
overlooked, but it would be really good if we could get enough
translators to a complete and publish an English edition within a
reasonable period of time.

Again many thanks for your excellent work on the Base Handbook.

Regards
Dave