Meaningless Field Shadings In Documentation

Strange how some images get through to this list and not others...

Almost all of the guides have numerous, what I describe as, "Meaningless
Field Shadings" randomly dotted around them:
https://goo.gl/photos/GrgaNrgizA6ukCu17
These shadings have no document fields associated with them. Other than
when I paste from a web page, I never see these shadings in my own
documents. So I assume these are some kind of indicator to the existence
of codes not used by the document.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know where these originate from?
    More importantly:
2. In the process of revising chapters, can we safely remove them?

Dave

Hi Dave,

1. Does anyone know where these originate from? More importantly:

Aren't this shades none-breaking spaces?
If I set
Insert → Formatting Mark → Non-breaking space
I get the same shades.

Regards

Robert

No, as there is a space in front of it. I think It is the mark for the alphatbetic index at the end of every document.
So don't delete it.

Thanks very much for the speedy replies guys, but...

Robert Großkopf wrote:

Aren't this shades none-breaking spaces? If I set Insert →
Formatting Mark → Non-breaking space I get the same shades.

That, or something similar, is what I thought they were, but it was not
making sense to have a "real" space character immediately followed by a
non-breaking space. See my reply to K-J below.

K-J LibreOffice wrote:

No, as there is a space in front of it. I think It is the mark for
the alphatbetic index at the end of every document. So don't delete
it.

OK! Now that I have turned on "Help Tips" (I normally have these
irritating things turned off.) and cross checked against the
alphabetical index of the last published copy of the full GS Guide, I
see that you are correct.

However, if an author/editor changes the "Entry" name, as it appears to
be the case with our guides, and the "Help Tips" are turned off, there
is no way to visually differentiate between an "Index Entry" and a
"Non-Breaking Space", or some other similar field. (ie. They are just
meaningless little normally grey/gray blobs.)

I cannot think of any good reason why ALL Index Entry words are not
fully shaded identically, no matter what changes an author/editor makes
in the "Insert Index Entry" dialog, I will be looking for this, or
posting a request, in Bugzilla.

Best Regards
Dave

Here is the explanation, as it applies to our books.

[libreoffice-documentation] translation of index entries

Milos Sramek sramek.milos@gmail.com via global.libreoffice.org

3/10/14

Hi,

we have a small problem with index entries in translation of the GS
guide to Slovak.

To explain: technically, there are two types of index entries,
independent and shared (may own names :)). In the first type, the
entry is independent of the guide text, while in the second the entry
shares the guide text. The first is presented as a small gray blob
between words, in the second case the shared text is displayed in
gray.

The second type causes problems in translation to languages with
inflection, since inflected words get into the index.
We thus need to get rid of the shared entries and to replace them by
independent ones.

K-J LibreOffice wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jean, that is a good reason I wasn't aware of. So I will shut up,
live with help tips and get on with the job.

Dave

This is one of several bits of insider info that needs to go into the
Contributors Guide and probably the docs-development part of the wiki as
well.

--Jean

Milos Sramek sramek.milos@gmail.com <javascript:;> via

[...]

OK, I have added this to my draft and I will take a look at the wiki
over the weekend. It's possible I might stumble across these as I go
along, but if anyone knows more of these "insider tips" let me know and
I will add them in.

Dave