Checked Out CH.1 "Introducing LO" GS Guide

I've checked out Ch. 1 "Introducing LO" from the v4.4 drafts and will
update it for v5.0.

Expect lots of questions, because I also propose to take on the
challenge of updating some of the outdated or misleading information in
the "Contributor Guides" and on the wiki.

First question: On the ODF Authors site there is no drafts folder under
the "Resources for Contributors", should I upload my "Contributor Guide"
edits to the existing "Feedback" folder?

Dave

I've checked out Ch. 1 "Introducing LO" from the v4.4 drafts and will
update it for v5.0.

Expect lots of questions, because I also propose to take on the
challenge of updating some of the outdated or misleading information in
the "Contributor Guides" and on the wiki.

First question: On the ODF Authors site there is no drafts folder under
the "Resources for Contributors", should I upload my "Contributor Guide"
edits to the existing "Feedback" folder?

Yes, or If you prefer, you could create a Drafts folder there.

Jean Weber wrote:

I've checked out Ch. 1 "Introducing LO" from the v4.4 drafts and will
update it for v5.0.

Expect lots of questions, because I also propose to take on the
challenge of updating some of the outdated or misleading information in
the "Contributor Guides" and on the wiki.

First question: On the ODF Authors site there is no drafts folder under
the "Resources for Contributors", should I upload my "Contributor Guide"
edits to the existing "Feedback" folder?

Yes, or If you prefer, you could create a Drafts folder there.

Dave

Thanks Jean. Since these are not part of our normal published guides I
propose to use the existing "Feedback" folder.

Dave

Returned Ch. 1 "Introducing LO" to:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-5.0/gs5-0-ch1-introducing-lo/view

Changes:
* A few minor text alterations + 1 note for clarity.

* Updated some images.

Notes:
* Suggestion to include a mention of the incorporated PostgreSQL engine.

Observations:
* Obviously the new Windows 64bit edition is going to be one of the main
features of the 5.0 release. However, I suggest that anyone here avoid
the 64bit beta 3, because it is very unstable and frequently crashes
when opening any documents. The 32bit beta 3 seems to be in reasonable
shape. I am testing both on XP, 7, 8.1 & 10 preview.

* The design/UX folks have ongoing discussions about toolbar & menu menu
changes for 5.0. I don't want to waste time on screen captures that may
soon change, so I will look for another chapter to edit that doesn't
include too many of these references.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I've checked out Ch1 and am going through it finding
some other items to change or verify. I hope to return it to Feedback
later today.

Have you picked another chapter to work on?

--Jean

I have accepted most of Dave's changes, made numerous changes of my
own, and applied the most recent version of the template. Have left a
few notes on things to check or rewrite and flags for figures to be
replaced when the UI is stable (RC1).

Uploaded to Feedback folder for GS 5.0:
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/feedback-lo5.0

--Jean

Retracted Jean's review for further editing. A little short on time
right now, will post more in a few hours.

Dave

Revised draft uploaded to Drafts folder for GS 5.0
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-5.0/gs5-0-ch1-introducing-lo-1/view

Replaced a number of images and added replies to some of Jean's notes.

My notes raise a couple of issues about this chapter that would probably
be better discussed on this list. One in particular is that I feel that
we kind of "fudge" the information about installation by referring to
the help wiki. A number of the comments Jean and I have made about other
changes that could/should be made are a "knock-on" result of things that
users might have done at the time of installation. What do others here
think about expanding the "Installation" section of this chapter?

Dave

I have not yet looked at your further comments on the chapter, but
I'll answer this now.

I am NOT in favour of explanding the section on installation. Here is why:

1) Most people will have already installed LO before they look at this chapter.
2) The official installation instructions are here, which is linked to
from the download page.
https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/install-howto/
If this chapter refers to something on the help wiki, the link should
be changed to this one.
3) If we're going to have more installation info in the book, it
should be in an appendix, not this chapter. But I am not in favour of
doing that either; the book is too long already.

--Jean