Getting Started Guide for LO v5.0?

Unless the group decides otherwise, yes. Though will probably be some
tweaks; there always are. --Jean

The most important thing about the draft new template is the style
names, which have been changed and simplified from the earlier
templates. The actual appearance can be changed easily by modifying
the styles, and that sort of change ("tweaks") are likely.

Content updating should proceed using the new template so that the
style names of the new files are correct.

--Jean

Thanks.

Why do we not rather create one standard template for all versions or that
can be used across all versions?

Marcus Mackaku wrote:

Content updating should proceed using the new template so that the style

names of the new files are correct.

Thanks.

###

This is when find and replace for character styles would be nice to
have. OTOH, for the documentation I've been looking at, the writer has
used direct formatting, and not character styles.

jonathon

Why do we not rather create one standard template for all versions or that
can be used across all versions?

For many years we have used one standard template for all versions and
will continue to do so. The template referred to in this thread is a
much needed update of that original template. It is proposed that from
version 5 of the guides Jean's draft template should be applied to
updated and new chapters.

Dave

A little more than a decade ago, somebody, probably Jean, made a
template for OpenOffice.org Documentation. Over time, that template has
been modified, to fit current practices, and document output.

By way of example:
* In LibO4.4.draft.ott, the modifications made it easier to export
content to ePub format, with minimal presentation markup loss;
* The cover page was changed, when _The Document Foundation_ was created;
* I _think_ that the same template is used, with Apache branding, rather
than OOo or LibO branding. (I'm not sure about this, because the Apache
documentation does not cover the current version of AOO;

_Maak je mooiste werkstuk met LibreOffice Writer_ uses the lightly
modified _LibreOffice handleidingen_. Dutch (The Netherlands) is the
default language, rather that English (US).

The Base documentation in German uses an older version of the template,
with a minor modification -- German (Germany) as the default language,
rather than English (US).

Both of those documents use a different font than the current
LibO4.4.draft, but I don't know if that is because the fonts changed
with LibO4.4.draft, or if the the default fonts for English don't work
as well for Dutch and German text.

jonathon

So how do we find out what's new in v5.0? Just start working through a chapter from the old guide using 5.0 to see if anything doesn't work the same way?

Alan Cook wrote:

So how do we find out what's new in v5.0? Just start working through a
chapter from the old guide using 5.0 to see if anything doesn't work the
same way?

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.0

In theory, all changes can be found at
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/5.0.

So use that document to describe what, and how to use the new features.

Then go through the old version, changing the text to reflect what
currently happens, if there are any changes, and then updating any
associated graphics.

jonathon

  * English - detected
  * English

  * English

<javascript:void(0);>

Content updating should proceed using the new template so that the style names of the new files are correct.

Thanks.

###

This is when find and replace for character styles would be nice to
have. OTOH, for the documentation I've been looking at, the writer has
used direct formatting, and not character styles.

Some time ago all guides used both character styles and lot of direct
formatting. Because of translating, I have removed direct formatting
from Getting Started and also from the Writer Guide - so there should
be no direct formatting now (unless something went wrong).

I can do that also with other guides. It should be done in two steps:
First manually replace direct formatting to style (e.g., search for the
font weight attribute and then apply the OOOMenuPath or
OOOStrongEmphasis style - according to context). Second, remove the
remaining direct formatting (usually not visible an useful) by a script.

Milos

Sorry, this was supposed to go to the list.

I've checked out Ch. 9, the Math chapter, from the v4.4 file, and will update it for v5.0.

Alan

I have downloaded "Getting Started with Base" (GS4408-Base.odt) this morning. I am going on a week's vacation beginning June 3, so I may need until mid June to finish my editing. FYI: Since Dec 24, 2013, I have been writing my autobiography putting it into ePUB format in 3 parts. First 2 parts done (total 156,000 words).

    Dan

Hello all,

I need to update Figures 1 and 2 in Ch. 9 (the Math chapter) of GS v5.0. I'm running LO on Windows so I can't make my own screenshots. If someone who's using Linux could make shots of those two figures and send them to me, I can plug them in.

The difference is that the floating dialog won't appear in the new figures. Don't worry; the dialog box has been removed entirely from v5.0, so you can't mess up.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan,
You can take screen shots with Windows. The "PrtScrn" key copies an image of the desktop to the clipboard. Then just paste it into a program like "Paint" and save it as a file. I think Ctrl PrtScrn captures just the active window. And Alt PrtScrn and Shift PrtScrn do something similar, but I don't remember what.
HTH
Ruth Ann, Loveland OH, USA

If memory serves me right, there is either a formal, or informal policy
of not using screenshots from any Microsoft platform, because Microsoft
claims that usage to infringe upon their copyright.

jonathon

Hi all,

You can take screen shots with Windows.

If memory serves me right, there is either a formal, or informal policy
of not using screenshots from any Microsoft platform, because Microsoft
claims that usage to infringe upon their copyright.

E.g.:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/5/5e/Producing-LO-userguides.odt

page 14
How to create images for LibreOffice user guides
"Screen captures"

In windows take screen shot, crop out all the microsoft references, then save as a .png

Everybody,

I know perfectly well how to make screen shots in Windows. I was avoiding doing that because of the following statement, on p. 14 of Ch. 2 of the Contributors' Guide, "Producing LibreOffice User Guides":
/
//Avoid making screen captures from Windows; use them only as a last resort, or as a first draft. First choice for screen captures is Ubuntu or another Linux distribution./

If we're sure that John's solution will get us off the hook legally, then I'll go ahead and do that.

Best,
Alan

Several LO books (and several other chapters in the Getting Started
Guide) have screenshots taken from Windows. It is not a problem.
Ideally, all the pix would be from Linux, but in fact they are a mix
of Linux, Mac, and Windows.

--Jean