Getting Started Guide Version 4.4

Hello

Version 4.4 of Chapter 9 Getting Started with Math is now available for
review and comment in the GS Draft LO4.4 folder on the ODF Authors website.

http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.4/gs-lo-4-4-chapter-09-getting-started-with-math/view

This chapter has been created using the new chapter template and the Math
Guide LO 4.4.

Regards

PeterS

Hello,

I have only now noticed the drafts for the Getting Started 4.4 book
(http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/getting-started/draft-lo-4.4).

I've immediately started to work on its translation to Slovak using the
existing translation of the GS4.2 in OmegaT in order to see if using
OmegaT really brings in the expected benefits. About 80% of segments are
translated automatically, the rest needs just a few modification. So -
works es expected, one chapter can be updated in less than one hour.

I've noticed that in comparison to the 4.2 version formating of certain
sentences has changed. For example in GS4401-IntroducingLibreOffice.odt
(* means bold and $ means italics):

Go to *File > Properties > General* on the menu bar and click the
*Change Password* button in the Properties dialog. This opens the Set
Password dialog where you can enter a new password.

In 4.2 it was like this:

Go to *File > Properties > General* on the menu bar and click the
*Change Password* button in the $Properties$ dialog. This opens the $Set
Password$ dialog where you can enter a new password.

Jean, was this changed on purpose or just by chance during style update?
If by chance, I can revert it - I see that in OmegaT and in both cases
have to do something - either change the original text or delete tags
from the translation.

I will update Chapter 8 (Base). We have modified it significantly during
translation, now I will apply the changes to the English version and
send it to you for review.

best
Milos

Hello,

On 2015-02-24 09:40, Milos Sramek wrote:> Hello,

I will update Chapter 8 (Base). We have modified it significantly during
translation, now I will apply the changes to the English version and
send it to you for review.

Oh, I've noticed only now that the Base chapter was completely rewritten
:). So, no update necessary on my side :slight_smile:
milos

NO updates have been made to the files for v4.4 so far, with some
small exceptions (and the Draw chapter that PeterS did). They have
been put into a new template; that's all.

Some of the character styles may have got lost during the update, so
you'll probably find many examples where they are different from
before and should be made consistent with whatever the style guide and
template say. However, the use of italics with the names of dialogs
was not consistent in the Getting Started book. I prefer no italics;
some people prefer italics. Doesn't really matter which we use, and I
don't remember what the style guide and template say.

As for the Base chapter, I replaced the previous version with one that
is older but covers relational as well as flat databases. It has NOT
been updated for v4.4. Sorry about the inconvenience for translators,
but the older version fits better with the Base Handbook.

--Jean

I meant, of course, the *Math* chapter, not the Draw chapter.

--Jean