LO Version 4.4 Table of Contents

Hello

I think the following is a problem when you are creating a Table of
Contents.

When creating a Table of Contents, in the Insert Index/Table dialog on the
Styles page, you cannot change the assignment levels to a paragraph style of
your own choosing. In other words, assignment Level 1 uses Contents 1 style
as its paragraph style, and so on through the assignment levels. This means
that if you are creating a user guide, you CANNOT add the paragraph style
for the chapter title into the Table of Contents at Level 1 and you CANNOT
use heading paragraph styles for the lower levels.

The default Contents 1 - 2 - and so on do pick up the text from the Heading
1 - 2 - and so on styles and place the information into the Table of
Contents. That is OK, but what if you want to create your own Table of
Contents in your own style, like we do for the LO User Guides.

Does anybody have knowledge of this.

Regards

PeterS

Hello gain

OK, got it on how to create your own Table of Contents. However this is
definitely NOT logical when you compare the procedure to other office
software.

You have to use Outline Numbering to establish what is included at what
level in a Table of Contents. I am used to selecting a paragraph style for
each level of a Table of Contents, then the software creates the ToC when
you say OK. Going to Outline Numbering first is an extra step that will
confuse majority of users who normally do not look at the user guide or help
first.

I did find out using the Writer Help, but it took a little searching to find
the correct instructions.

If someone has access to the development team forum, can you please forward
as a suggestion my thoughts on creating a ToC.

Regards

PeterS

Hi Peter,

PeeWee schrieb:

Hello

I think the following is a problem when you are creating a Table of
Contents.

When creating a Table of Contents, in the Insert Index/Table dialog on the
Styles page, you cannot change the assignment levels to a paragraph style of
your own choosing. In other words, assignment Level 1 uses Contents 1 style
as its paragraph style, and so on through the assignment levels. This means
that if you are creating a user guide, you CANNOT add the paragraph style
for the chapter title into the Table of Contents at Level 1 and you CANNOT
use heading paragraph styles for the lower levels.

I do not understand your problem. When you have create your own paragraph style, it will be in the right list and you can assign it to the TOC level of your choice. Click on the level in the left list, click on the style in the right list, click on the assign button < . What is the problem?

The default Contents 1 - 2 - and so on do pick up the text from the Heading
1 - 2 - and so on styles and place the information into the Table of
Contents.

The page "Styles" is for to set the style of the lines in the TOC. I see no problem in using the "Contents*"-styles. You can design them to your needs. Why do you need others?

These styles do not determine that "Heading 1" is a level 1 in your document structure. To determine the level of the paragraph style in the document structure, you can use Tools > Outline, which is the default way, or you set the level explicitly in the section "Outline" in the tab "Outline & Numbering" of the paragraph style.

The section "Create From" in the page "Index/Table" of the TOC dialog
determines, which paragraphs are included in the TOC. The default setting is "outline", which includes the outline paragraph styles via Tools > Outline and explicit outline styles. You can check "Additional styles" to include paragraph styles, which do not belong to the group "outline".

  That is OK, but what if you want to create your own Table of

Contents in your own style, like we do for the LO User Guides.

I cannot help you with the specific LO User Guide and its template.

Kind regards
Regina

Hello Regina

With my work for LO user guides, I simply update the ToC after making
changes and I had never created from a ToC from scratch. I wanted to create
a ToC for a small document for myself and this is where the confusion
started.

The process for creating ToC is not very clear and, in my opinion, does not
follow the practice used in several office software packages., that is
simply selecting the headings to be included in the ToC. In Version 4.4 of
LO you cannot do this.

When you go to Insert > Indexes and Tables > Indexes and Tables to open the
Insert Index/Table dialog, you will logically click on the tab for Styles so
you can select styles for inclusion in a ToC. For example, select Level 1
then select Heading 1 style and you cannot move the Heading 1 style into
Level 1 for a ToC. This is the way I have created a ToC using other office
software.

It appears you can select Heading 1 style and so on by selecting Additional
Styles on the Index/Table page. However, I am not sure that this works 100%.
Alternatively, you go to Tools > Outline Numbering and use this dialog to
assign your styles to the appropriate level and position in a ToC (this info
is in Writer Help and not easy to find).

Both of these methods is, in my opinion, an unnecessary step when creating a
ToC. I think the Writer software should be modified so that you simply
select the styles you want to use on the Styles page in Insert Index/Table
dialog. If you can pass this thought onto the development team, I would
appreciate it.

Regards

PeterS

Hi :slight_smile:
It's tricky to reach the development team without posting a bug-report
and anyone can do that.

It would be interesting to hear how easy the new UX is for
bug-reporting. I gather they have had some minor teethign troubles
but hopefully that wont affect whoever is willing to post the
bug-report for PeterS.

Good luck and regards from
Tom :slight_smile: