LibreOffice Manual of Style

All:

Back when Sun ran OpenOffice.org there was a (semi-)official manual of
style for the project.

* Is that manual of style still adhered to?
* What is/was it called?
* Where can it be obtained from?

I am not referring to the style manual within the documentation template
that Jean constructed/maintains.

jonathon

  * English - detected
  * English

  * English

<javascript:void(0);>

Back when Sun ran OpenOffice.org there was a (semi-)official manual of
style for the project.

* Is that manual of style still adhered to?

I don't know, but Sophie may know. We never really used it for the
user guides, but I believe it was used for writing Help.

* What is/was it called?
* Where can it be obtained from?

Here is one I remember.
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard/Help_Style_Guide

I am not referring to the style manual within the documentation template
that Jean constructed/maintains.

There is also a short (and somewhat out of date) writing style guide
for LO user guides. It is Chapter 5 in the Contributors Guide. See
here: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development#Contributors_Guide

In Docs, we mainly referred to the relevant sections of _Read Me
First! A Style Guide for the Computer Industry_ by Sun Technical
Publications. I realise that isn't what you're looking for, but I
mention for completeness regarding semi-official manuals of style.

--Jean

Did that get into coding practices, especially in regards to the User
Interface?

jonathon

I don't know, and I don't think this is the best list for getting a
clear answer to that question. Most of us AFAIK are not involved in the UI.

--Jean

Hi all,

Back when Sun ran OpenOffice.org there was a (semi-)official manual of
style for the project.

* Is that manual of style still adhered to?

I don't know, but Sophie may know. We never really used it for the
user guides, but I believe it was used for writing Help.

The stylistic guide was a Sun guide for translating Sun products. I
still have the one from 2006 in French. But it is copyrighted by Sun.

* What is/was it called?
* Where can it be obtained from?

Here is one I remember.
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Dashboard/Help_Style_Guide

I am not referring to the style manual within the documentation template
that Jean constructed/maintains.

There is also a short (and somewhat out of date) writing style guide
for LO user guides. It is Chapter 5 in the Contributors Guide. See
here: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development#Contributors_Guide

In Docs, we mainly referred to the relevant sections of _Read Me
First! A Style Guide for the Computer Industry_ by Sun Technical
Publications. I realise that isn't what you're looking for, but I
mention for completeness regarding semi-official manuals of style.

Thanks for the information Jean. I think Gnome HIG is the one to use for
us when writing UI or help files.

Cheers
Sophie