[libreoffice-users] Saving Impress Templates

Hi :slight_smile:
I thought it might be good for the documentation team to know about this
thread. Templates are not so easy in Impress apparently and the guides
don't seem to be helping at the moment.

A bug-report has been filed but i was wondering if it would be good to have
the work-around in the Impress Guide fro this branch.

Messy Christmar everyone!

Thanks Tom. I had in mind to get to documentation, but you saved me the trouble.

Hello

Cannot understand what the problem is about saving your own presentation
templates in Impress.

The procedure in the Impress Guide under the heading “Creating your own
templates” on Page 49 works perfectly. You then use the Template Manager to
create a presentation using your template, which is the same as using any
templates that were supplied with LibreOffice. That procedure “Templates
supplied with LibreOffice” is on Page 48.

There were no instructions when I wrote the Impress Guide and I used little
trial and error to get the procedure correct.

This will be looked at again when I upgrade the Impress Guide to Version 4.4
or 4.5.

Regards

PeterS

The problem is that when you go to save a presentation as a template,
there is only one tab (Documents) visible in the Template Manager,
UNLESS the user has already saved (or moved) a template into another
tab. But many people expect to see several tabs like you see when
creating a presentation from a saved template, and it's not obvious
how to put a newly-saved template under another tab. It was correctly
described in the Impress Guide v4.0, from which Brian Barker quoted in
an earlier note in this thread, but that section is not in the v4.2
Impress Guide... nor does it appear to be in another of the other
books.

This situation is the same for all components. I am reviewing Chapter
11 of the Draw 4.3 Guide, and I noticed that Figure 7 does not
correspond to what I see on any platform (Linux Mint, Windows 8.1, OS
X Yosemite) when saving as a template; it is what I see when starting
to create a new presentation from a template. Otherwise, the info is
not wrong, but it is incomplete and confusing. It talks about folders,
but not about the tabs at the top.

I am doing some other editing on this chapter and will put it into
Feedback later today, for your consideration.

If you see all four tabs when doing File > Templates > Save as
Template, well, hm, I don't know what's going on. Weird.

--Jean

I was wrong when I wrote,
"it's not obvious how to put a newly-saved template under another tab.
It was correctly described in the Impress Guide v4.0, from which Brian
Barker quoted in an earlier note in this thread,"

Now I see that section talks about how to show hidden FOLDERS, not
hidden TABS. Sorry. But the main problem stands: people expect to see
the four tabs at the top. I must play around with this a bit more.

--Jean

Ah, now I see what's going on. No matter where you save a Draw (or
Impress, or Calc) template, it will show up under the correct tab when
creating a doc from the template. Users can create a separate folder
for Presentations or Drawings if they wish, but it makes no difference
to the display when they go to create a new file from the template.

So it works very easily but is non-obvious. I think just a few words
of explanation would take care of this.

Apologies for the noise in my earlier notes on this thread. This
statement from one of my earlier notes is also wrong: "UNLESS the user
has already saved (or moved) a template into another tab." My
confusion was over tabs and folders, and not testing enough before
posting.

--Jean