Proposed Change To Writer Guide 4.2 Chapter 12

I am in the process of reviewing Hazel's corrections to the published
chapters. On page 32 of chapter 12 Hazel found a dead link to an
external website.

The existing paragraph reads:
"Each type of source that you use when creating your document will have
its own unique works cited format. The Modern Language Association (MLA)
documentation format sets out the recommended order for these citations.
For example, see http://www.mattawanschools.org/."

I propose that we either:

1. Replace the link with https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/2/
or some similar source.

2. Delete the sentence:
"For example, see http://www.mattawanschools.org/."

Does anyone have any preference, or alternative suggestions for this? If
there an no objections, I will update the chapter with the first option.

Regards
Dave

Hi :slight_smile:
The link worked for me. I think the reason it breaks on some systems is
the full-stop after the link-address. If you make it
http://www.mattawanschools.org
or
http://www.mattawanschools.org/
(without a full-stop at the end) then it works.

However it seems a bit weird to link to a school's website. I prefer the
"owl" one and it seems to be more relevant to the paragraph. Maybe the
school's home-page used to show something different. The whole "Owl" site
looks like it might stay more relevant for longer.

Of course the link (as it appears in my email) works. I only repeated
the paragraph text (as it appears in the document) to indicate exactly
which paragraph I was referring to and how it could be changed.

If you had bothered to actually look at the document you would see the
full url behind the the visible text is:
http://www.mattawanschools.org/14662082081050390/lib/14662082081050390/mlaworkscited.pdf
and that document is no longer available from that site.

Hi :slight_smile:
Would it be better to link directly to
http://www.mla.org/
rather than to one school's or university's attempt to reinterpret the
standard? On the other hand they seem to only be available for purchase so
maybe a free reinterpretation is better.

You have answered your own question.

Obviously I am subscribed to this list, so please do NOT send copies
directly to me.

Tom Davies wrote:

Dave Barton wrote:

[...]

I have now updated the published chapter 12 as indicated above. The
paragraph in question now reads:

"Each type of source that you use when creating your document will have
its own unique works cited format. The Modern Language Association (MLA)
documentation format sets out the recommended order for these citations.
For information about MLA and other citation styles see:
https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/section/2/"

While not required under Purdue University's "Fair Use Policy", I have
sought and obtained permission to include this link in our documentation.

Dave